Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop speakers not working properly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 blryaaa

blryaaa

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

Sometime ago my laptop speakers have been playing at a very low level even though the volume is turned up to the max. What can I do to rectify the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:08 PM

The make and model of your laptop would be helpful.

#3 blryaaa

blryaaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:17 PM

Asus TP5600LA-EB31T

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

It is probably worth your while checking the volume settings in whatever system you use for playback, soome of these have internal volume control sindependent of your speaker volume settings.

As an example, I use VLC as my default media player and it has an internal volume control. It is possible to turn the volume all the way down in VLC itself while the taskbar speaker control still show 100%.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 blryaaa

blryaaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:51 AM

I don't think that changed anything for me.

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:48 AM

What Operating System ?

You could right click the Speaker Icon in the System Tray , and check Volume Mixer Settings , or Playback Device - Speakers { Click }.

Also may depend on what Controls your Audio as to Type and Drivers etc.

If still the same , uninstall Audio Drivers and then Reboot , or check for any Updates for them.

#7 blryaaa

blryaaa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

I've honestly tried all of those things before, but I'll do them again just to make sure. It's Windows 8. This problem started happening around the time I was using my bluetooth dongle to connect to some headphones. After which the internal speakers never regulated their levels.

#8 organfan

organfan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

I hate to hijack your thread, but I'm having the exact same problem and have tried all of the aforementioned solutions to no avail. I didn't know if I should start a new thread since I created this account precisely for help with this or not. I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude. My volume has been wanky for maybe a week. 

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

I hate to hijack your thread, but I'm having the exact same problem and have tried all of the aforementioned solutions to no avail. I didn't know if I should start a new thread since I created this account precisely for help with this or not. I'm running Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude. My volume has been wanky for maybe a week.

It is typically a good idea to create your own thread. While it might seem you have the same problem, many times it might turn out that there are potential differences. So, it is best to start your own thread and provide the specific details for your computer.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

I've honestly tried all of those things before, but I'll do them again just to make sure. It's Windows 8. This problem started happening around the time I was using my bluetooth dongle to connect to some headphones. After which the internal speakers never regulated their levels.

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you remove the drivers for the Bluetooth dongle? I not suggesting this as a permanent thing, but just to see if the internal speakers start working properly again after you remove the Bluetooth dongle and its drivers. This might help narrow down the problem and maybe then help figure out a way to get the speakers working AND still use the Bluetooth dongle if it does appear somehow related to the Bluetooth dongle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users