Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen after CPU upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rimcadax

rimcadax

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

Hello. I am not good in computers, so I want to ask you about blue screen which appeared after cpu upgrade. 
So I tried to upgrade my laptop (Asus F5SL) So I decided to upgrade T5550 (2m cache) cpu to Q9100 (12m cache). Both same socket PGA478. First when I upgraded it wasn't able to get to windows logo, so I upgraded my bios to 308. It helped. But after 1 min it switch to blue screen which says Hardware or software... and about 12m cache... Well can somebody tell what is the problem? Thanks. 
By the way after switching back to old cpu it works like a charm.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:06 AM

socket is one issue, however cpu support in laptop motherboards often require hardware revision/firmware revisions; either of these can be and are are often stumbling blocks to successful cpu upgrades...

Let's first make sure your current issue is not just a case of  Windows 'not liking' a different CPU being installed...(often happens!)

If the laptop's mainboard and firmware will support the current CPU, then it should POST and likely boot and run Linux Mint 17 Live CD (from DVD or USB) without issue, indicating success if it boots to the desktop in my opinion...

In fact, you could see if it will boot from a WIndows DVD/USB instead of a Linux disc, if you have one...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

If this was a laptop I'd wonder about chipset drivers.

Does the laptop work in Safe Mode?

#4 MrSippi

MrSippi

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:16 PM

Is the new CPU in the CPU support list of that laptop? Just because it fits doesn't always work.

Looking for Mrs Sippi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users