Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laggy Computer/Cant download

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 xodus2222

xodus2222

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

Hello,

A few days ago I noticed that my computer mouse was a bit laggy.  I then realized that no matter what browser I used, I could no longer download.  I do have utorrent and can still download torrents and use them, but if I went to say.. zippyshare.com then I am not able to download.  The wheel just spins.  If I reboot the pc, then everything is good for about 5 to minutes and then goes back to the laggy mouse and inability to download.  I have used Norton, Malwarebytes, Hijackthis and a few others and nothing comes up being suspicious.  If I open up task manager, then the mouse stops lagging, I close it and the lag returns.  My temps are running normal.  The dust has been cleaned out, what there was.  I tried to do a system restore but that didn't take so I have to do some other tricks to try and see if that will do it.  I cant think of anything else to do here.

I have a Dell XPS 8700 ‑ Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz ‑ 12 GB RAM with Windows 10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

Have you tried updating the driver under Mice and other pointing devices in the Device Manager?

I'm guessing that this mouse is a wireless mouse communication though a USB adapter.  Have you tried using a different USB port?

If this isn't a driver related issue this could be Windows file corruption.  In view of this it may prove to be beneficial to run a sfc /scannow scan. 

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

You should not do anything else with the computer while this scan is running.  Do not stop the scan as this can damage Windows files.

You will need to open the Command Prompt to run the sfc /scannow.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.  This will open the Command Prompt.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

You will see an image similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 xodus2222

xodus2222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:47 PM

Actually its a wired mouse.  I changed it and used a different mouse but had the same issue and the driver was updated.  The other curious thing is when this is happening, I can not download any files from the internet for example, zippyshare etc..  If I reboot things are back to normal but it only lasts about 10 minutes or so.  Im in the process of trying to do a system restore, but alas one of the last windows update messed that up so I am in the process of fixing that to see is I can get that to work.  I also running a disk fragmenting program at the moment.  I will definitely try the sfc scan and see if anything comes up.

Oddly enough I was typing this out...the lag stopped for a few minutes.  I am sure it will return in about 10 minutes.

Edited by xodus2222, 08 June 2017 - 03:43 PM.

#4 xodus2222

xodus2222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:50 PM

I ran the sfc scan and there were no integrity violations.  Check that off the list.  Any other thoughts.  

How is it I can have task manager box open and the lag stops if I am inside that box, but when I get out of the box it lags again. 

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download and install Windows Repair (All in one).

Notice:  This will take a long time to run, please allow for at least an hour for this to complete.  Stopping this can cause damage to the operating system.

When you open the Windows Repair (All in one) you will see tabs labeled Steps 1. through 5.  Then Repairs and Settings2. through 4. are optional.

Step 1.  Do a Proper Power Reset.  This is impotant and not optional.

tweak1_zps5460eb3e.png

Step 2.  Clean Your System From Infections (Optional).  This option will run Malwarebytes Antimalware if you choose to.

tweak2_zpse9b74c2d.png

Step 3.  Check File System (Optional), this will give you the option to see if you need to run chkdsk or the option to run chkdsk.

tweak3_zps6ebd559a.png

Step 4.  System File Check (sfc /scannow), (Optional).

tweak4_zps314fabc4.png

Step 5.  Registry Backup & System Restore.  This is not optional.
Click on Backup for the Registry, then click on Create for the System Restore.

tweak5_zps1f8cef34.png

Repairs.  Click on Start.

tweak6_zps104a9f0c.png

You will see an image similar to the one below, click on Start Repairs  

repairsa_zpsd14077e8.png

When the Repair has finished you will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes.

After the computer is restarted you will need to reopen Windows Repair and go to Settings

Settings.  On this page you will see Log Location, in the same section you will find Open Log Folder.  Click on Open Log Folder, this will open the log files, double click on this, then click on _Windows_Repair_Log.  Copy the log and then paste it in your topic.

tweak7_zps277d4e41.png  

Tweaks is optional, you can go to these sites and use the tweaks.

tweak8_zps7d30ed30.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 xodus2222

xodus2222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

Here is the log for the speccy

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tJWzNFPFWvp3yU4mamNhV2d

The make and model info is here

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PCMAIN
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model XPS 8700
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 0x05B7
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A11, 7/9/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.14393.206"
User Name PCmain\jackw_000
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 12.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 8.36 GB
Total Virtual Memory 13.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.98 GB
Page File Space 1.81 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

I am going to start the other process now.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

The only thing I found of interest in the Speccy was that your C: drive is down to 79MB.  If you intend on adding more data or applications to this drive I would suggest moving some of the data or apps to your other partitions or other hdd. 

There appears to be a problem with the other hdd.  It has 378 reported uncorrectable errors and a uncorrectable sector count of 3.  I would suggest running Seatools for Windows to see what the state of this drives health is.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installatioSeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Please post the log for the Windows Repair (All in one) when you have it.

#8 xodus2222

xodus2222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

I am aware of both of those issues.  I do need to move some things off my current hard drive.  The other one came from my older pc and I knew it had some issues, but I dont really use it much.  I just store old files on that drive.  The tweaking application you gave me is almost done.  Its not actually removing files from my pc is it?  I keep seeing removing this file and that file etc. I will do the seatools one after the tweaking application finishes but I am pretty sure that isnt whats causing the other issues I am having.

#9 xodus2222

xodus2222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

Here is the log

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.9.33
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Variables
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OS Architecture: 64-bit
OS Version: 10.0.14393.1198
OS Service Pack: 
Computer Name: PCMAIN
Windows Drive: C:\
Windows Path: C:\WINDOWS
Program Files: C:\Program Files
Program Files (x86): C:\Program Files (x86)
Current Profile: C:\Users\jackw_000
Current Profile SID: S-1-5-21-3003213796-354000207-1251640867-1001
Current Profile Classes: S-1-5-21-3003213796-354000207-1251640867-1001_Classes
Profiles Location: C:\Users
Profiles Location 2: C:\WINDOWS\ServiceProfiles
Local Settings AppData: C:\Users\jackw_000\AppData\Local

System Information
System Up Time: 0 Days 00:02:46

Process Count: 39
Commit Total: 1.95 GB
Commit Limit: 13.76 GB
Commit Peak: 2.00 GB
Handle Count: 14869
Kernel Total: 419.78 MB
Kernel Paged: 279.21 MB
Kernel Non Paged: 140.57 MB
System Cache: 850.44 MB
Thread Count: 719

Memory Before Cleaning with CleanMem
Memory Total: 11.95 GB
Memory Used: 2.09 GB(17.4791%)
Memory Avail.: 9.86 GB

Cleaning Memory Before Starting Repairs...

Memory After Cleaning with CleanMem
Memory Total: 11.95 GB
Memory Used: 1.84 GB(15.3561%)
Memory Avail.: 10.12 GB

Starting Repairs...
   Started at (6/9/2017 10:30:03 AM)

Setting Any Missing 'InstallDate' From Uninstall Sections Before Running Repair...
Total Missing 'InstallDate' Fixed: 247

01 - Reset Registry Permissions
   Restore Windows 7/8/10 Default Registry Permissions
   Start (6/9/2017 10:30:04 AM)

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\permissions\10\hku.7z
Done,  0.23 seconds.

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\permissions\10\hklm.7z
Done,  2.55 seconds.

Running Repair Under System Account
   Done (6/9/2017 10:30:38 AM)

Reset File Permissions
   Restore Windows 7/8/10 Default File Permissions
   Start (6/9/2017 10:30:38 AM)

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\permissions\10\default.7z
Done,  0.13 seconds.

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\permissions\10\profile.7z
Done,  0.16 seconds.

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\permissions\10\program_files.7z
Done,  0.33 seconds.

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\permissions\10\program_files_x86.7z
Done,  0.14 seconds.

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\permissions\10\programdata.7z
Done,  0.16 seconds.

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\permissions\10\windows.7z
Done,  1.06 seconds.

Done (6/9/2017 10:52:39 AM)

03 - Reset Service Permissions
   Start (6/9/2017 10:52:39 AM)

Running Repair Under Current User Account
   Done (6/9/2017 10:52:47 AM)

04 - Register System Files
   Start (6/9/2017 10:52:47 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 10:53:23 AM)

05 - Repair WMI
   Start (6/9/2017 10:53:23 AM)

Starting Security Center So We Can Export The Security Info.

Exporting Antivirus Info...
   Exporting 3rd Party Firewall Info...
   Done (6/9/2017 10:57:35 AM)

06 - Repair Windows Firewall
   Start (6/9/2017 10:57:35 AM)

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\permissions\10\services.7z
Done,  0.14 seconds.

Done (6/9/2017 10:58:10 AM)

07 - Repair Internet Explorer
   Start (6/9/2017 10:58:10 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 10:58:24 AM)

08 - Repair MDAC/MS Jet
   Start (6/9/2017 10:58:24 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 10:58:29 AM)

09 - Repair Hosts File
   Start (6/9/2017 10:58:29 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 10:58:30 AM)

10 - Remove Policies Set By Infections
   Start (6/9/2017 10:58:30 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 10:58:34 AM)

11 - Repair Start Menu Icons Removed By Infections
   Start (6/9/2017 10:58:34 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 10:58:35 AM)

12 - Repair Icons
   Start (6/9/2017 10:58:35 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:15:50 AM)

13 - Repair Network
   Start (6/9/2017 11:15:50 AM)

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\permissions\10\services.7z
Done,  0.16 seconds.

Done (6/9/2017 11:16:04 AM)

14 - Remove Temp Files
   Start (6/9/2017 11:16:04 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:16:05 AM)

15 - Repair Proxy Settings
   Start (6/9/2017 11:16:05 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:16:07 AM)

17 - Repair Windows Updates
   Start (6/9/2017 11:16:07 AM)

Done,  0.13 seconds.

Setting Windows Updates Files That Are In Use To Be Removed At Next Boot.
   Done (6/9/2017 11:16:25 AM)

18 - Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working
   Start (6/9/2017 11:16:25 AM)
   iTunes and GEARAspiWDM.sys was found, adding UpperFilters for iTunes Reg Key
   UpperFilters added?: True
   Done (6/9/2017 11:16:25 AM)

19 - Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service
   Start (6/9/2017 11:16:25 AM)

Done,  0.14 seconds.

Done (6/9/2017 11:16:44 AM)

20 - Repair Windows Sidebar/Gadgets
   Start (6/9/2017 11:16:44 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:16:46 AM)

21 - Repair MSI (Windows Installer)
   Start (6/9/2017 11:16:46 AM)

Done,  0.14 seconds.

Done (6/9/2017 11:16:56 AM)

22 - Repair Windows Snipping Tool
   Start (6/9/2017 11:16:56 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:16:58 AM)

23.01 - Repair bat Association
   Start (6/9/2017 11:16:58 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:01 AM)

23.02 - Repair cmd Association
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:01 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:03 AM)

23.03 - Repair com Association
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:03 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:05 AM)

23.04 - Repair Directory Association
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:05 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:07 AM)

23.05 - Repair Drive Association
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:07 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:09 AM)

23.06 - Repair exe Association
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:09 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:11 AM)

23.07 - Repair Folder Association
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:11 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:13 AM)

23.08 - Repair inf Association
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:13 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:15 AM)

23.09 - Repair lnk (Shortcuts) Association
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:15 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:17 AM)

23.10 - Repair msc Association
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:17 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:19 AM)

23.11 - Repair reg Association
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:19 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:21 AM)

23.12 - Repair scr Association
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:21 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:23 AM)

24 - Repair Windows Safe Mode
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:24 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:26 AM)

25 - Repair Print Spooler
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:26 AM)

Done,  0.14 seconds.

Done (6/9/2017 11:17:30 AM)

26 - Restore Important Windows Services
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:30 AM)

Done,  0.14 seconds.

Done (6/9/2017 11:17:35 AM)

27 - Set Windows Services To Default Startup
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:35 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:17:39 AM)

28.01 - Repair Windows 8/10 App Store
   Start (6/9/2017 11:17:40 AM)

Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\permissions\10\hku.7z
Done,  0.22 seconds.

Done (6/9/2017 11:25:24 AM)

29 - Repair Windows 8/10 Component Store
   Start (6/9/2017 11:25:24 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:35:44 AM)

30 - Restore Windows 8/10 COM+ Unmarshalers
   Start (6/9/2017 11:35:44 AM)
[X] -----Job Complete-----         Items Done: 1      
   Done (6/9/2017 11:35:46 AM)

31 - Repair Windows 'New' Submenu
   Start (6/9/2017 11:35:46 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:35:48 AM)

32 - Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings
   Start (6/9/2017 11:35:48 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:35:50 AM)

33 - Repair Performance Counters
   Start (6/9/2017 11:35:50 AM)
   Done (6/9/2017 11:35:51 AM)

Cleaning up empty logs...

All Selected Repairs Done.
   Done at (6/9/2017 11:35:51 AM)
   Total Repair Time: 01:05:49

...YOU MUST RESTART YOUR SYSTEM...

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

After restarting was the problem still there?

#11 xodus2222

xodus2222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

So far it seems ok....let me keep an eye on it.  Sometimes it can take 10 minutes or so for it to show up.  I will check in shortly.  Im running the hard disk drive scan now.  Fingers crossed.  Let me go ahead and thank you for your help so far.  It is greatly appreciated.

#12 xodus2222

xodus2222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:16 PM

Yup...its back.  Very lagging and still cant download.  Edit..the lag seems to be coming and going, but unable to download any files.

Edited by xodus2222, 09 June 2017 - 12:21 PM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:32 PM

Let's see if resetting the Windows Store resolves this problem.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens type in wsreset, then click/tap on OK.

#14 xodus2222

xodus2222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:39 PM

I am afraid it did not.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

Try uninstalling the mouse driver in the Device Manager, restart the computer and see if the new driver which will be installed makes a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users