Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do you format the flash drive before downloading the Media Creation Tool?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sportsfan1

sportsfan1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:02 PM

Hi,
If your USB flash drive has data on it...do you have to format the USB flash drive manually in windows (right click and format) before downloading the Windows Media Creation Tool to create the Windows 10 Bootable USB flash drive installation media?
I'm wondering if you guys format the drive to empty it first. I dont know if it is necessary or not. If it is what selections should I make ...FAT32 and choose default allocation unit size?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moritz30

Moritz30

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

AFAIK you don't have to format it first however it will be formatted by the Media Creation Tool.

White Hat, Security Researcher, Modder, CEO at and founder of @DragonTeamMC, @OmniDragonBot and CryptID. Real name is Matthias Merkel.

#3 unopie

unopie

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

Yes, what the member said above me is correct. The Media Creation Tool will do all the formatting for you.

#4 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:11 PM

ts a bit confusing because on the Microsoft website instructions..it says to use a blank USB flash drive...with the word blank highlighted in deep black....but then goes on to say everything will be deleted. So I was wonderingt if you didn't format it manually first that there might be problems

#5 Moritz30

Moritz30

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

ts a bit confusing because on the Microsoft website instructions..it says to use a blank USB flash drive...with the word blank highlighted in deep black....but then goes on to say everything will be deleted. So I was wonderingt if you didn't format it manually first that there might be problems

They just say that so you don't loose any important data

White Hat, Security Researcher, Modder, CEO at and founder of @DragonTeamMC, @OmniDragonBot and CryptID. Real name is Matthias Merkel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users