Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Protection Settings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:01 PM

Hello!

New computer, Windows 10, 1703 Creators Update.

A. Interesting. The default settings for system protection is off! Unless otherwise directed, I feel that these drive protection settings need to be on. Yes/No

system_properties_systen_pretection.png

B.  Disk Space Usage: what would you recommend for usage bytes?

Disk_Space_Usage.png

​I appreciate your direction. Thank you!

Edited by softeyes, 07 June 2017 - 12:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:39 PM

Softeyes,

I have never been able to explain why System Protection/System Restore arrives on some new machines turned on and others turned off.  It used to be universally "on" and my only theory is that certain manufacturers have chosen to turn it off for their default Windows 10 install images.

When it's turned on I simply allow Windows to manage the Disk Space Usage unless there's some good reason not to do so.

I agree that I always want System Protection to be "on," even though my experiences in using System Restore have met with variable success, sometimes just depending on which restore point I choose.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

I think you may find that Home versions its off by default although it still does have shadow copies even though it says off when ever a major update is installed it creates a snap shot.

Its just not displayed by default when using previous versions tab (This is why you use ShadowExplorer to restore files/folders).

In the Pro & Enterprise versions i believe its on by default.

As far as size, i normally allow 10 GIG on my 120 GIG SSD drive but i also dont allow the physical RAM to be matched in pagefile.sys so that sames me 16 GIG of space on the HDD.

#4 softeyes

softeyes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

@britechguy: thank you SO much for your reply. You make perfect sense and I appreciate that. I configured the settings to "on"...I feel much better now!  :) 

I think you may find that Home versions its off by default although it still does have shadow copies even though it says off when ever a major update is installed it creates a snap shot.

Its just not displayed by default when using previous versions tab (This is why you use ShadowExplorer to restore files/folders).

In the Pro & Enterprise versions i believe its on by default.

As far as size, i normally allow 10 GIG on my 120 GIG SSD drive but i also dont allow the physical RAM to be matched in pagefile.sys so that sames me 16 GIG of space on the HDD.

@ JohnnyJammer: 

I thank you for your efforts, your information I highlighted in blue is way over my head! I'm totally lost about any previous versions tab, and I sure would not know how to use ShadowExplorer?

Your discussion about RAM and pagefile.sys, leaves me perplexed? 

I feel as though I'm in good shape for now, until the next surprise.. .. .. off go!  :guitar: 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

...I'm totally lost about any previous versions tab, and I sure would not know how to use ShadowExplorer?...

This is for Windows 7 but it explains native Windows Previous Versions.This explains how to use ShadowExplorer To Recover Lost Files and Folders.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users