Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a specific USB LED keyboard lamp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JimmieBallgame

JimmieBallgame

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:41 AM

I've seen a ton of them online but after viewing many pictures of them, none of them seem like they fill the bill.

I need one that obviously lights the keyboard but doesn't put light on the screen or shine in my eyes yet doesn't block the view of the screen.

Has anyone found one that has these abilities?

Thank you.

JimmieBallgame

Edited by hamluis, 07 June 2017 - 08:21 AM.
Moved from Gen Chat to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

I use one of this style (which I got in a bargain shop not online) which I can just angle so it doesn't shine in my eyes or on the screen. In the side USB port on my laptop it is far from obscuring the screen, but my hands do shade the keyboard as I type.

HTB14khiHFXXXXaoXpXXq6xXFXXXT.jpg

Edited by Platypus, 07 June 2017 - 08:02 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 JimmieBallgame

JimmieBallgame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:38 PM

Thanks Platypus, I'll try one out.

#4 techghost

techghost

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

I also use the one mentioned above. But the one you want, I don't think there is any portable of such nature. These won't block screen or flash in your eyes but the light would be blocked when you type and it may get annoying sometimes. 
here is the link to it: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-LED-Night-Light-Table-Computer-Keyboard-Portable-Lamp-Touch-Switch-for-PC-Notebook-EM88/32788056205.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.2.KywSh4

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:51 PM

I realize it is not what you originally asked about and if not the most optimal choice if you have a laptop that does not have one built-in, but the other option would be a backlit keyboard. I find them rather handy when I want to work in the dark. Both of my laptops have them and I bought external keyboards with backlighting for both my Window desktops (one is wireless). The only keyboard that I currently use that is not backlight is the external keyboard I am using right now with my MacBook Pro (which I mostly use as a desktop replacement hooked to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse). This is largely because I cannot find a backlight keyboard for Mac (i.e. with Mac labeling on the keys). I can use one designed for Windows (i.e. with Windows labeling like a Windows key rather than a Command key) as all the keys will work, but I then need to remember how at least three of the key map from the Windows labels to what they do with the macOS.

The only downside is that usually backlight keyboards tend to cost more and will definitely cost more than a USB light. And of course, it will not be practical for use with a laptop except if you use the laptop as "desktop replacement" at a desk at home almost all the time. As soon as you want to use the laptops as, you know, a laptop (i.e. carry it around, use it on your lap, travel with it, etc), then it becomes impractical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users