Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Receiving Strange Spam Emails...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:10 AM

Hello,

I've been receiving strange spam emails under the name of someone that I know but is always registered with some different, uncommon email client everytime.

The email body contains only one strange link which is normally only flagged by one website scanner (out of about 5 that I use) as malicious.

The same email is also sent to many people that I know would be on their contact list.

Have you heard of this kind of spam before? What is it? Does this person have some malware on their computer doing this or are they doing this themselves?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:56 AM

Sounds like a classic e-mail address spoofing message. 

Delete it and move along with life.  I don't even bother letting the purported source know because there is nothing they did to cause it nor anything they can do to stop it.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 I have a computer...

I have a computer...
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:53 AM

So what causes this to happen? Is it someone doing this against this other person, or doing it against me?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,536 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

The list of ways that scammers can obtain e-mail addresses for the purposes of spoofing are myriad.  Do a web search on e-mail spoofing and there are plenty of discussions of the various mechanisms used.

There is nothing "personal" about it.  It's yet another way to use ill-gotten information to try to produce ill-gotten gains.

Like I said, delete the message and move along with life.

Edited by britechguy, 08 June 2017 - 08:44 AM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#5 I have a computer...

I have a computer...
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:42 AM

But how does this scammer know this persons family and friends email addresses to be able to send spam to them pretending to be someone that they know?

Where do they get this info from if there was "nothing they did to cause it nor anything they can do to stop it.".

Edited by I have a computer..., 12 June 2017 - 04:45 AM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,536 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

What is email spoofing?

What is Phishing?

Edited by britechguy, 12 June 2017 - 09:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users