Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Environment Variables in Windows 10 now looks different, confusing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:47 PM

The appearance for looking at PATH variable in Windows 10 now looks different than either it did before some previous update or than from Windows Vista.

Going to system information from Control Panel (and Control Panel no longer shown when right-click on the Start Menu button), and Advanced link, and then the Environment Variables button, clicking on PATH in the lower listbox, and click the EDIT... button, now I see a LISTING of items as like in a listbox -  no trail of items separated by semicolons.    I am not sure what to do with this if I wanted to change something.

How do I understand this?  What would I do if I were to install Java SDK and want to set a new addition to the PATH variable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:53 AM

Just click on "New" and add the location you want into the highlighted line on the left. It will automatically be added to the end of the existing path.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:39 PM

Just click on "New" and add the location you want into the highlighted line on the left. It will automatically be added to the end of the existing path.

Thanks.  And what would need to be done if at some time later, I want to remove that item from the PATH variable?  Anything tricky about this?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,585 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:32 AM

Open the same window, highlight the path entry you want to remove and click on DELETE. Nothing tricky at all - in fact, it's unbelievably simple and straightforward.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:38 PM

Maybe what I was looking for is explained clearly enough in these:

https://www.java.com/en/download/help/path.xml

http://zdnet4.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2016/06/02/d3123d7a-c428-457c-bbc3-b56701c5c990/edit-system-path.jpg

and

toward the bottom of http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-point-and-click-to-edit-the-system-path-variable/

EDIT button to be able to make changes to the chosen PATH variable, and then NEW button to be able to add a new path to the PATH variable listings

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,585 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:19 AM

Sorry I wasn't clear enough for you.

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:54 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear enough for you.

I just wanted to more clearly understand a previous step.  You described the one key step to take: Upon seeing the listing, you say "NEW" button and just add the new item.

Since some searches of several articles were not yet fully clear, I asked on B.P. forum.  Later I continued to search and found so few articles telling exactly what I wanted to know.  I quoted two of those very, very, few found search articles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users