Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hd Making Weird Sounds

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moomoo

moomoo

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:09 PM

My HD used to make sounds...like scraping noises when i ran Windows defender. Now its started to make it when i shut down. And just today it started making it while i was talking on msn. Does anyone know whats causing this? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:19 PM

It is probably the hard drive going bad.

Back-up your data and plan on replacing it soon if not immediately.

If you replace it before it fails it is much easier to deal with. Most new hard drives will come with software to migrate the contents of your old hard drive including the operating system to the new drive (or the capability to download it from the hd manufacturer).

#3 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 07:22 PM

Oh my gosh.. Thats just great there goes all my money on a new HD....thank you for the advice enthusiast

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:46 PM

Hard drives are cheap nowadays.

Look at the hard drives on sale at the local stores like Compusa, Circuitcity and Bestbuy.

If you have a choice get a Seagate because it is the only brand with a five year warranty.

Edited by Enthusiast, 09 September 2006 - 11:46 PM.

#5 moomoo

moomoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:13 AM

ok :thumbsup: I actually found a 250GB HD for 100dollars at future shop =P.
Thanks for all your help
Nick

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:20 AM

Make sure yiouhave SP2 installed or it won't see a drive that large (max 137 gb I think) and download the migration tool from the hard drive manufacturer to transfer the old hard drive's contents to the new one.

With Seagate it's called "Seatools", but most manufacturer has a similar tool available.

I recommend Seagate drives because they are the only drives as far as I know that come with a five year warranty. The rest seem to come with two or possibly three years.

Edited by Enthusiast, 10 September 2006 - 07:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users