Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a good free Anti-Virus

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 wicky

wicky

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:01 PM

I was using Avast for years, but it suddenly stopped working properly with my computer.  Now, I need a decent one to replace it, and can't afford to buy any of the paid or pro versions.  Can anyone recommend a decent one?  Here are some of the specs...if you need anything else, tell me where to find it.

Windows 7, SP1

Intel Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz (processor)

10.0 GB (9.83 GB usable)  (installed memory)

64-bit Operating System

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2017 - 07:40 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:34 AM

You might start your research by looking at these resourcres...

AV-Comparatives -

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

AV-TEST -

https://www.av-test.org/en/compare-manufacturer-results/?avtest[type]=3

Virus Bulletin VB100 -

https://www.virusbulletin.com/testing/dates/vb100-antimalware

#3 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:38 AM

Why not use the free one from Microsoft "Security Essentials"?

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:20 AM

I've used SecureAPlus for pushing a year or so, and, zero complaints; when downloading or running something, it often blocks, but allows the user to easily 'allow', or 'continue blocking'.... 

https://www.secureaplus.com/

Prior to that, I used Qihoo's free 360TS for perhaps 18 months or so, and would also gladly do so again.

https://www.360totalsecurity.com/en/download-free-antivirus/

Occasional free MalwareBytes AM scans and Defender scans, plus looking at everything running or scheduled in freefixer add confidence as well....; additionally, having a look at MS' Sysinternals Process Explorer occasionally will also show what all is running, sort of a very detailed task manager on steroids...

http://www.freefixer.com/

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:59 AM

If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, the free anti-malware solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2 that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection.

For other anti-virus alternatives, please refer to Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

Been experimenting with free AV for a couple of yrs now,they've had some ups and downs with changes,nag screens,system resources

Lately i installed 360 Security Essentials on all my systems..excellent,given no problems,strong detection and online protection(unusual in free av)

As Gizmo review below says,it better than a lot of pay for av (make sure you download (360 "Essentials" not the whole 360 package with pc tools etc)

Gizmos Freeware Review and download link

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/qihoo-360-total-security.htm

PS,I know as stated in Gizmo review Quipo that make 360  essentials have had their ups and downs but that seems mostly sorted now,all i can say is this program has performed brilliantly on my systems so far for a free av...just thought id mention it dear hearts :-)

Also if you going to rely on free av,have malwarebytes,hitman pro etc as backup scanners and have some kind of zero day cover..i ..

think Malwarebytes anti exploit is still about...

Then theirs ransom ware..cryptoprevent would be my choice...free and non intrusive..

God it goes on nd on..think i,ll get a Mac...only kiddin...

Edited by Wolverine 7, 07 June 2017 - 05:50 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

There has been a lot of controversy surrounding Qihoo to include it's reporting other anti-virus software and search tools as being malicious, deceptive marketing practices and various privacy issues so I would not recommend using this product.

AV Comparatives, AV TEST and Virus Bulletin make allegations of inappropriate behavior by Qihoo 360

...three of the worlds most renowned and trusted security testing bodies, AV Comparatives, AV? TEST and Virus Bulletin, stand united to censure security vendor Qihoo 360 after finding the firm submitted products for comparative and certification testing which behaved significantly differently from those made available to its users and customers. The three testing bodies will revoke all certifications and rankings awarded to the companys products so far this year, and going forward will insist on more open and fair dealings to ensure users are provided with the most accurate information possible. Investigations by the three labs found that all products submitted for testing by Qihoo had one of the products four available engines, provided by Bitdefender, enabled by default, while a second, Qihoos own QVM engine, was never enabled. This included versions posted to ostensibly public sections of the companys websites....

More information in these articles:

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

There has been a lot of controversy surrounding Qihoo to include it's reporting other anti-virus software and search tools as being malicious, deceptive marketing practices and various privacy issues so I would not recommend using this product.

quiteman 7 hi,when i was looking to change av because of problems with system resources etc,i was quite concerned about the Qihoo reputation,particully all the coments at the MWB forums, butdecided to give it a go based on the Gizmo Freeware (who i basically trust)review...

"Nevertheless for a free product it just did splendidly well in my tests, earning the top recommendation for this year."

all i can say,after watching the program closely for a few weeks its

performed brilliantly (especially the online shield) and given no problems...perhaps Quhoo have resolved their issues.

To the Op,Antivirus is a very personal thing and you have to use what works for you..this program works ok for me,but then i never rely on my av and use a huge amount of different scanners on my systems..probably your best bet is to follow quiteman 7,s advice if you have any reservations at all..he s probably forgotten more about computers than i know :-),good luck.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 07 June 2017 - 06:10 PM.

#9 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

Agree with quietman7.

Even though Gizmo's reviewer rated it an Editor's Choice, IMO there are better choices out there...without the baggage.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, Anti-Malware Test Lab, MRG-Effitas, etc....Gizmo is not one of them. From what I understand, the Gizmo Editors' Choice is awarded to products and services that rise above similar products in their categories as determined by their own experts, magazine editors and analysts.

With that said...if you are satisfied with the product that's ok and I'm glad to hear it works for your needs. I'm certainly not trying to change your mind.

Folks come to Bleeping Computer for advice, recommendations, an answer to a specific question and other assistance. We provide that based on our knowledge, experience and expertise so they can make an informed decision. What anyone chooses to do with that advice and information is up to them.

#11 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, Anti-Malware Test Lab, MRG-Effitas, etc....Gizmo is not one of them. From what I understand, the Gizmo Editors' Choice is awarded to products and services that rise above similar products in their categories as determined by their own experts, magazine editors and analysts.

With that said...if you are satisfied with the product that's ok and I'm glad to hear it works for your needs. I'm certainly not trying to change your mind.

Folks come to Bleeping Computer for advice, recommendations, an answer to a specific question and other assistance. We provide that based on our knowledge, experience and expertise so they can make an informed decision. What anyone chooses to do with that advice and information is up to them.

Well i very much respect your opinion,you were helping me 7 yrs ago when i first came here and could just about remember how to send an e - mail.:-)

Now thanks to bleeping i can admin my systems,fix em,make small programs and juggle three oranges while drinking a glass of water...? :-)

av is personal so i just went with what seemed to work,AVG,Avast and some of the others gave me all kinds of issues... (truth to tell a lot of av vendors have

integrity or system function issues,one way or another)

As said i had issues with Qihoo based on what id read (i dont like cheats or people with no integrity either) a bit of further research this evening on 360 security,recent independent tests (not the labs admittedly,i wont labour you with endless links) seem to find what ive found...good overall hassle free performance,weakish on zero day (i run an anti - exploit anyway)...overall i still feel its as good as any free av...

I take locking my systems down quite seriously,i like my computers working well,and one is used for professional work and business...overall despite some

concern over the Qihoo virus definition shenanigans,i still feel ok with the program...whats amazed me after AVG and Avast causing endless issues with

updates and  conflicts  on up and running systems and clean installs is i havnt heard a peep out of it...ever,just updates and does its thing...hurray...been quite a relief after the recent av hassle,i can get on with my work without some strange blip every time theirs an update..oh well..will keep on monitoring it though...

Wolverine now  will be silent and go for a cup of tea :-)

Thanks for your imput as always.

#12 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:31 PM

Agree with quietman7.

Even though Gizmo's reviewer rated it an Editor's Choice, IMO there are better choices out there...without the baggage.

I never accept those reviews at face value. I always translate them to mean "Editor at XYZ was paid $x,xxx.00 for this review.  I don't care what publication it is.  What I trust is when an Admin or Mod at a reputable forum like this one says "I use this one, I like this one, this is why I use this one" and JUST ANYONE can chime in and either support or disagree with them, and hash-out any disagreements out in the open for anyone to see and even participate in if they want.

What I DON'T TRUST is some obvious internet marketer with only a few posts and a pointed lack of technical expertise making fake and hollow-sounding claims about a software, for example like in this one thread where Martha's Homemade Lavender and Basil Soap and Anti-Virus company tells their Users they have security issues with their routers.

Also FWIW I just LOVE Malwarebytes.  I did their trial and decided not to pay and so went with MSE, but when I had it I felt real good about things.  Mostly I liked the high level of User support.  Several times I've seen average Users asking questions and an actual Malwarebytes Rep will post a solution.  Highly professional, IMO.  Probably won't last, because talent like that costs now, but I think people should consider getting this software and it's support while it's there.

#13 ichito

ichito

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:44 AM

Honestly saing BC is not such lab also... so whose opinion should be more important and opinion-forming? :wink:

Vista: SpyShelter Firewall + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

XP SP3: Kerio 2.1.5 + SpyShelter Premium + NVT ExeRadar Pro + Shadow Defender + Keriver 1-Click Free

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:07 AM

Bleeping Computer is a family oriented site where we offer assistance to those who know very little about computing. As such, our forum discussion board and tutorials are targeted more for the novice user since they comprise much of our membership. We provide help based on that premise because it is impossible for us to know the extent of a member's background, knowledge level and experience level until we get to know them. We keep this in mind when writing replies since we know many novice members read various topics searching for answers without ever posting a reply. Please read About BleepingComputer.

We also have many experienced/professional members who contribute technical assistance to others and we certainly welcome those individuals who fall into that category...including their opinions and experience in various aspects of computing. All this makes Bleeping Computer the great community it is and stand apart from many other forum boards.

Thus, all opinions are welcome and it is up to each member to weigh the value of what is said and make their own decision.

#15 fraserspur

fraserspur

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:53 AM

Agree with quietman7.

I never accept those reviews at face value. I always translate them to mean "Editor at XYZ was paid $x,xxx.00 for this review.  I don't care what publication it is.  What I trust is when an Admin or Mod at a reputable forum like this one says "I use this one, I like this one, this is why I use this one" and JUST ANYONE can chime in and either support or disagree with them, and hash-out any disagreements out in the open for anyone to see and even participate in if they want.

What I DON'T TRUST is some obvious internet marketer with only a few posts and a pointed lack of technical expertise making fake and hollow-sounding claims about a software, for example like in this one thread where Martha's Homemade Lavender and Basil Soap and Anti-Virus company tells their Users they have security issues with their routers.

Also FWIW I just LOVE Malwarebytes.  I did their trial and decided not to pay and so went with MSE, but when I had it I felt real good about things.  Mostly I liked the high level of User support.  Several times I've seen average Users asking questions and an actual Malwarebytes Rep will post a solution.  Highly professional, IMO.  Probably won't last, because talent like that costs now, but I think people should consider getting this software and it's support while it's there.

While MSE will protect against viruses it offers nowhere near the protection of Malwarebytes. 

I was running MSE thinking it protected me until previously reliable freeware installed a PUP redirector that made browsing the web impossible.

MSE found nothing untoward on my PC whereas Malwarebytes removed the PUP, it also blocks them before they install.  PUP=Potentially Unwanted Program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users