Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had Zemana antimalware real time protection on while also having Emsisoft on

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sunbread1

Sunbread1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:46 PM

I installed zemana antimalware https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/zemana-antimalware/

Purpose was to make second opinion scan, but i didnt know it has real time protection enabled right away. It freaked me out, because i know that multiple real time protections cause problems, so i immediately went to Zemanas settings and turned real time protection off. I was connected to internet during all of this.

Now question is, did this make me considerably more vulnerable to attacks? Did it mess the emsisoft protection to point where it easily could have let some malware install itself? How big of a risk this actually was?

Also, does zemana antimalware have firewall? In that case it could have disabled windows firewall making me even more vulnerable.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,952 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

Zemana AntiMalware is a cloud based malware scanner...it does not include a Firewall. Zemana should not conflict with Emsisoft and you are not at risk from the installation as you describe.

Strengthen Your Firewall and Anti-Virus Software with Zemana Anti-Malware

...Zemana Anti-Malware...provides an additional layer of protection to a Windows computer that may have a firewall and anti-virus software already installed. Zemana has partnered with SurfRight, and incorporated SurfRight's proven Hitman Pro 3 technology into Zemana Anti-Malware. Zemana Anti-Malware was designed to be used in conjunction with other malware-fighting programs.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where an Authorized Zemana Rep (ida15) and Zemana Malware Analyst (TwinHeadedEagle) answer questions, provide feedback and welcome suggestions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

Alright, so it its an exception to rule "never have more than 1 real time protection"? I understood, that emsisoft antimalware is all-in-one package, giving real time protection acting both antivirus and antimalware so from that angle I though it would conflict with Zemana, since zemana is antimalware protector and emsisoft is also antimalware protector too.

Also, when i went to uninstall zemana, i uninstalled it using the unins000.exe, but it left the Zemana antimalware folder in program files (86x), and it contained two files named with long chain of letters and numbers, i cant remember if they were dll files or tmp files. What were they? i cant look at them any more, since for some reason they have disappeared, and i see the folder has been modified very recently, and I know for sure i havent done anything with it.

Edited by Sunbread1, 06 June 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,952 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

It is not uncommon to have left over folders and files after uninstalling a program...yout tipically can just manually delete them.

As for what they were, I have no idea so you may want to ask the Zemana Reps.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-malware program will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real-time protection and the others as stand-alone on demand scanners.

Please read the NOTE in regards to Using Multiple Anti-Malware products in this topoc.

#5 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:48 PM

Yes, but from reading from posts here I got impression that Emsisoft combined both antivirus and antimalware, so it should be the only real time protection program running in computer. Am i mistaken? Or should i have some other real time protection program along side emsisoft? I am using the trial version of emsisoft which has all the 4 layers (surf protection, file guard, behavior blocker, anti ransomware) and planning on buying it later.

So zemana real time protection is specifically built to not conflict with other malware real time protections?

Edited by Sunbread1, 06 June 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#6 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

You are right you do not need Zemana real time protection.They have a free version to use as a second opinion scanner that does not include real time protection.Be sure to download the right version.

Edited by badtoad, 06 June 2017 - 06:08 PM.

#7 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:12 PM

I reinstalled and it offers not to deploy real time protection during installation, so i installed it now and scanned. Then uninstalled the software again to see if those same tmp files appear in the folder, and they did, and after reboot they disappeared.

But question still remains, that did you Quietman7 mean that Zemana real time protection does not interfere with Emsisofts real time protection? As i am running the real time layers from emsisoft, did Zemana real time protection mess with Emsisoft making me vulnerable?

Edited by Sunbread1, 06 June 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,952 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time.

I use Malwarebytes with Emsisoft.

#9 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:16 PM

I get that, but as you have recommended to not run more than 1 real time protections, i have only had real time protection running from emsisoft. Wouldnt emsisoft real time protection overlap with malwarebytes real time?

Edited by Sunbread1, 06 June 2017 - 06:17 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,952 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

I think you are misunderstanding some of my comments. Did you read the information under the Note: Using Multiple Anti-Malware products in the link I provided above?

General Rule: One anti-virus with real-time protection + one anti-malware program like Malwarebytes or Zemana with real-time protection is ok.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection. Just because Emsisoft includes anti-malware protection does not mean you cannot use an additional anti-malware program to supplement it.

#11 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Yes, but i though that since emsisoft includes antimalware real time protection, i should not use another real time malware protection like malwarebytes. So are you saying i can use real time protection from malwarebytes alongside emsisofts real time protection? I havent got single clean cut answer for that from anywhere. Currently i do have malwarebytes but i am not running the real time protections from it.

I have read the topics youve linked and there was said that only one real time MALWARE protection should be running. Emsisoft has malware protection, and malwarebytes is malware protection too, so is this an exception then and they dont conflict?

I need to be absolutely sure about this, i dont wanna enable malwarebytes real time protection if it causes any conflicts with Emsisoft antimalwares own real time protection.

I am talking about malwarebytes real time protection layers: web protection, exploit protection, malware protection, ransomware protection.

Edited by Sunbread1, 06 June 2017 - 07:39 PM.

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:32 AM

I run Avira Antivirus as real-time protection, and run a Malwarebytes scan manually once a week.

Additionally, I use uBlock Origin in Firefox (my main everyday work browser), and Microsoft EMET.

I have never been infected.

Addtionally, I do frequent disk images, and daily differential backups of volatile files.

There is a lot of crossover on AV/AM tools these days.

So my personal opinion is that one real-time protection layer is enough.

Edited by jwoods301, 07 June 2017 - 12:33 AM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,952 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:22 AM

....So are you saying i can use real time protection from malwarebytes alongside emsisofts real time protection? I havent got single clean cut answer for that from anywhere. Currently i do have malwarebytes but i am not running the real time protections from it...

I already told you that you could run both. In fact, I said I use Malwarebytes with Emsisoft in Post #8.

...I have read the topics youve linked and there was said that only one real time MALWARE protection should be running. Emsisoft has malware protection, and malwarebytes is malware protection too, so is this an exception then and they dont conflict?...

My previous reply in Post #10 also explained the answer to that question. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection. Just because Emsisoft includes anti-malware protection does not mean you cannot use an additional anti-malware program to supplement it.

#14 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

I also run EAM and MBAM together with no issues, so yes, Sunbread, you can run both of these at the same time.

I have also tried Zemana with EAM, again, no problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users