Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about Macrium

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Win7wiz

Win7wiz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:53 PM

Mod edit Al1000: Split from: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/647980/cloning-software/

I also use Macrium, and is it OK to ask a similar question here? Otherwise, move me to a new thread.

I usually make an image, but this time I'm deciding.  I've looked at the tutorial posted above.  Am I correct that a clone also copies the free space from the original drive?  And the diagram seems to indicate that I can choose not to copy the useless recovery partition that came with the machine. Is that correct?

Edited by Win7wiz, 06 June 2017 - 05:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oklahsam

oklahsam

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

I use Macrium Reflect pretty frequently. If the recovery partition is AFTER the first two Windows created partitions, I've found it's generally safe to de-select it. Also, you would have to do this if you are cloning to a smaller drive since it can't shrink middle partitions.

If you make an image of the drive, the image will only be the size of the used space by default (unless you turn up the compression). If you go to write that image to a new drive it will remember the size the partitions were.

In either scenario Reflect will shrink the last partition to make it fit on the smaller drive, which is why you want your main partition to be the last one.

#3 Win7wiz

Win7wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

Nope, just checked. Turns out the Recovery Partition is first, but it's tiny.  When you say it will shrink the last partition, do you mean it will remove empty space or compress the partition?

My external HD is only 80GB. This might be too tight to clone anyway:

Macrium2.jpg

Edited by Win7wiz, 06 June 2017 - 06:18 PM.

#4 oklahsam

oklahsam

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

That first partition isn't a recovery partition. That's a small partition that Windows creates on installation that stores some boot info and things. It's only 100MB total, so fairly inconsequential.

It won't fit on an 80gb drive. That last partition there doesn't have enough free space to shrink onto an 80GB drive.

Edited by oklahsam, 06 June 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#5 oklahsam

oklahsam

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

You could use a tool like Minitool Partition Wizard to shrink the middle partition down, and then move the last partition back next to the middle one so all the unused space is at the end. As it is now, you'd need a 181.79GB drive to fit it, because it can only shrink that last partition down to 20.65GB.

#6 Win7wiz

Win7wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

You don't mean 181.79GB. Typo? I'm using only about 70.

#7 oklahsam

oklahsam

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

Sadly not a typo. You might only be using 70, but because that 161.14GB partition is trapped in the middle, Reflect can't do anything about it. It can only shrink partitions starting from the right, so all it can shrink is the last partition. That unused space in the middle partition might as well be used since it has that last partition sitting at the end of it.

#8 Win7wiz

Win7wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:38 PM

I thought the HD was 100GB, just found out otherwise!! Going to shrink C in Easeus Partition Master, which I already have, then I'll move D.  You saved me from a mess.

Would 52 GB be a reasonable size for C, or more? I've already removed all the garbage with CCleaner, and  I can always move some data to a CD if I run out of space on D, but I can't fool with C. After 21 years of computing, I  have only 20 GB of Data.

Edited by Win7wiz, 06 June 2017 - 08:25 PM.

#9 oklahsam

oklahsam

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:46 PM

An 80GB hard drive only has about 74GB of usable space. Shrinking the C: partition to 52GB would make the clone about 72GB with very little extra space on the D: partition. I'm fairly certain it would work, but it's really close.

#10 Win7wiz

Win7wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

I think I'll buy a larger external HD. Thanks

#11 Win7wiz

Win7wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

OK, I'm cloning now to a new HDD. I've been backing up for years, but one thing puzzles me. How can Macrium clone a C drive when Windows is open and using files? Partitioning programs run in a sort of DOS, but backing up happens while  everything's running, in fact right now.

#12 oklahsam

oklahsam

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

It works by using Windows Volume Shadow Copy service. It's the thing that allows Windows to make System Restore points. Basically, when the backup starts, it uses VSS to take a snapshot of your system, then it uses that to make the clone/backup. The way it really works is far more technical than I could explain, but it makes for some interesting reading if you want to look it up. I'm still not entirely convinced it doesn't use some sort of voodoo.

#13 Win7wiz

Win7wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

Duh. I'm not convinced it makes a perfect copy, but I've never had to restore more than 1 file to test it. 

Macrium wouldn't backup, separately,  just 2 folders, my Firefox and Thunderbird profiles,  every night, would it?  Will Windows Backup do it? Otherwise what would you recommend? it has to be automatic.

Edited by Win7wiz, 09 June 2017 - 09:17 PM.

#14 oklahsam

oklahsam

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

Honestly, I think you're good with just Reflect. I've had no trouble using it for my regular backups, and I've cloned dozens of drives at work and had no problems.

#15 Win7wiz

Win7wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

NVM. Not available in free edition.

Edited by Win7wiz, 10 June 2017 - 07:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users