Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Problems?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 teenslayer

teenslayer

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:37 PM

OK.. so my computer is around 6 years old. It is a dell. I year ago, I changed the hard disk from 20 gb to 120 gb. It worked fine. Now, since I have a new computer, I decided to replace the old computer with the 20 gb and install the 120 gb one in my new computer. However, now I can't start the old computer at all. When I turn on the power, the motherboard doesn't seem to be getting power. If it is getting power, the four lights on the back should light up, I think..

I contacted Dell a while ago, and we fixed it by resetting the processor. But, now the problem is back. No lights, no display on the monitor..

Is the motherboard broken or what?

Can some one help me? It would be highly appreciated!! Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 05:10 PM

It would be extremely difficult to diagnose whether this problem is a motherboard, the power supply or wiring remotely.
You may have disconnected something when removing or replacing the hard drive.

Try making sure all the connections are tight, even the power cord and the wires to the on switch on the front of the case.

Edited by Enthusiast, 09 September 2006 - 05:11 PM.

#3 teenslayer

teenslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 10:29 PM

Well I'm pretty sure the connections are tight enough..

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:53 PM

Do you have a meter that can check voltages?

#5 teenslayer

teenslayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:24 PM

No. How much are those?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,338 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:46 PM

About $13
L@@K
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

Hm... the only disturbance that I can think of that can be caused by resetting the cpu has to do with the heatsink. But, on the motherboard, do you know the jumpers which make power possible for the whole computer? (check out your motherboard manual, if you don't have one, look on their website) Also making sure that that the powersupply is doing well and good would be a good idea, course you need a meter for that sort of thing, but I can only think of a few things that can cause this, and my first guess is the unlikely possibility with the jumpers. a computer should still be able to boot up even without a processor, if it had to do with the battery it would have given a checksum error, if it had to do with security features, it should work by unplugging the computer for 15 seconds, and then plugging it in again and trying to start the computer. (this is still a possibility) lastly there is always the possibility that it could be a bad motherboard... which COULD have happened when you installed the new hard drive, and a static discharge... but that wouldn't explain why resetting the processor would work... ah well good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users