Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router recommendation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 helplessgeek

helplessgeek

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

Hello.

I am probably needing to get a new router soon. I have a cheaper dlink that keeps needing to be unplugged every few days. I am on a tight budget, so I know I won't be able to get a real decent one, but I am wondering if there are brands to lean towards and brands to avoid? My budget max is about $100.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:11 AM

I'm not following...what makes you think that a new router will solve whatever connection problems you have...and how does unplugging the router result in amelioration of the connection problem?

Do you have a router/modem...or a modem and a router?

Louis

#3 helplessgeek

helplessgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

I have both a modem and a router. The issue is that, a couple or more times a week, I will have absolutely no connection on either wifi or wired. To resolve the issue, I simply reboot the router, but not the modem. It was a cheap router I got at Walmart on clearance for about $25. So, I assume that the router is on it's way out. I wish I could remember just what it is, but I'm at work and it's at home. It just occured to me that maybe a firmware update could help?

Thanks

#4 helplessgeek

helplessgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

I have a D-Link DIR-810L. The firmware is up to date, so that isn't the issue. 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:00 AM

Well...I don't know much about connectivity issues...but I would suspect the modem, not my router, as the source of such situations.  Once I had proven by direct connection (modem to system) that it was not the modem...I would go to alternate theories of where the problem lies.

Louis

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:13 PM

Sounds like you got a refurbished router for your $25.00. How old is it, if I may ask? If it's more that three years old and a refurb. My feeling is, it is on the way to dying.

Nice list of routers 100 and under here.

http://ohgaming.org/best-router-under-100/

I have personal experience with the fourth one down. The ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router

I paid quite a bit more when it was a bleeding edge model a few years ago. It served me very well.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:55 AM

Sounds like you got a refurbished router for your $25.00. How old is it, if I may ask? If it's more that three years old and a refurb. My feeling is, it is on the way to dying.

I had a client who hired me after the previous Tech stopped responding for calls to service.  Meaning I inherited whatever he did.  For months I chased a ghost problem of the internet dropping connection.  One day I was in the closet where all the network hardware was mounted and installed and I decided to re-route all the cabling and it was during this process that I noticed that the wireless router was using a power adapter that was not "Linksys".  I had the same router at my home, so I knew it was oddball.  No bid deal, right.  But something made me dig around and check things out and long story short the router wanted 12 volts DC and this non-Linksys power adapter was delivering 11 volts DC as per it's specs written right on the plastic of the adapter.

Lesson:  Don't assume it's getting the right voltage. ALWAYS check.

Plus even if you have the right adapter, it could still be bad, meaning rated for 12 VDC and delivering 10.5 instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users