Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Manage email address records and lists, not newsletters!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 goncalomata

goncalomata

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:15 AM

Hi. I've been using Excel to manage my 4000 contacts DB. Terrible, i Know!

What I need:

- multi categorizing each person (is it a VIP? how did I know them? how strong is our relationship? have them been to a specific course with me? where do they live? what type of business do they have? ...). I have around 15 characteristics that help me browse the list and segment specific marketing campaigns

- visually managing all this, in a simple and user friendly way, with folders, zoom ins, zoom outs, or whatever can graphically help me manage 4000 records

My list is getting bigger and is growingly painful to handle it in Excel. But until now, the only alternatives I could find are around mail chimp and stamp ready and stuff oriented at sending the campaings and tracking results. That's really NOT what I need. I have that working fine already. My need is BEFORE the sending. Is the feeding, trimming, caring, smarting up the lists, the categorys, the subgroups, the sub-subgroups from subgroups, the merging, the adding, the multi-management of the tens of lists and sub-lists of the BIG list that's growing every day.

I want to be able to keep info about each record, when I have it, that later will allow me to browse the list even for purposes I can't yet imagine today.

Is this a very strange thing to wish for? Can anyone point me to a direction of what should I look for? like keywords and stuff?

Thanks so much for any possible helpful comments.

Gonçalo

(Portugal)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

What you describe, at least to me, goes well beyond "typical" e-mail list management needs.   I agree that Excel is not your best bet here.

Have you considered MS-Access, or any other relational DBMS that you can run on the machine you have?

You have already described a one-to-many relationship between person and the category or categories that they fall into.

Using a DBMS would certainly make filtering/selection easier.  Of course you'd need to carefully think about the various tables you'd need and the relationships between them.

It's been a really long time, but I seem to remember MS-Access having some of the graphical functions you mention much like Excel does, but I could be wrong.

Do a web search on "MS Access contact manager" or "management" and you'll see scads of templates for doing same come up in the results.  What you describe is certainly something that someone else has probably already implemented and you may be able to take an existing template and use it as is or tweak it slightly to meet your needs.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:20 PM

Using database software to create your own or hire someone to create a database option for you if you are not comfortable doing it yourself (Access and other database programs do typically have a decent learning curve) was going to be my best suggestion as well.

There may be a program out there that fits your needs, but it is likely not going to be a well know option, so the odds that someone on this forum might have encountered such a program, sees your post, and then can recommend it to your is likely pretty low. It is not impossible, but probably not too likely. So, at best, you likely will have to be patient if that is the only path you want...at worst, you may not get a better answer than just doing it with a database.

The closest that I can suggest is a Mac program called BusyContacts, but I am still not sure if it will completely fill your needs. It can certainly handle tags/categories and can apply multiple tags to each individual. Not sure it will do the "visualization" that you want as I am not really sure what you really want the "visualization" to do. And, as I said, it is Mac only.

FWIW, Outlook can also do multiple categories with one person, but again I don't know if it will do the "visualization" part that you are looking for.

#4 goncalomata

goncalomata
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

Thank you both for the valuable guidelines. Me and my colleagues we all work in MACs (company's policy), so I'm well inclined to test some hundred records on "BusyContacts" to see what happens.

By the way, what would you recommend I use (as simples as possible) corresponding to MSAcsess on MAC (or maybe there's MSAcess for MAC?).

Once again many helps for shedding some light into this long dark tunnel of mine!

G

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

There is no MCAccess for Mac. Best you would be able to do is run Windows in a VM or in Bootcamp to use MSAccess. If you are paying for an Office 365 subscription, then you will already have access to Access (no pun intended) most likely (it depends on which Office 365 plan you have). Of course, you would still need a Windows license and potentially a VM program if you did not already have one. And then that might not meet company policy.

For a database on a Mac, my first choice would likely be FileMaker. While it has been a LONG time since I used it, it was rather easy to use (it will have gotten more complex as it can now do relational databases, where as when I last used it, it was just a flat database option). There are likely other options, some of which might be cheaper, but that is the one that I know.

http://www.filemaker.com

You can do either a subscription model for Filemaker or a stand alone license (not cheap). It does look like they offer a trial as well, but again going with a database option will have a learning curve just on setting up the database. You likely can find some templates, but you might need to still tweak those templates.

As to BusyContacts, you can get it through the App Store or directly from BusyMac here:

https://www.busymac.com/busycontacts/

If you go to the website, you can get a 30 free trial to see if it will work for you. I will note that the most current version appears to require El Capitan (aka 10.11.x) or later. I am still running an older version as I am still on 10.10.x (aka Yosemite), but do intend to update to at least El Capitan soon.

FWIW, if you find BusyContacts works for you, then you might also want to go with BusyCal. It integrates well with BusyContacts and is frankly a much better calendar application that Apple's built-in Calendar app. I use both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users