Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't start win10, EaseUs can't restore image. Potential boat anchor.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul_L

Paul_L

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:11 AM

The machine is a Gateway desktop DS4860-UR10P about 5 years old. It runs Win10 home upgraded from Win7. It has an internal 2TB drive 0: (C:), and an added 3TB drive 1: (j: & K:). I had a bunch of USB drives attached to it.

I was making routine weekly image backups of 0: using Macrium Reflect free for years. A lot of the images are on USB drives.

About 4 weeks ago Macrium failed to make images anymore due to VSS failure. There was no shortage of empty space on any drive.

2 weeks ago I bought a copy of EaseUs ToDo and made one system backup to drive K:. I copied the image from K: to two of the USB drives. I DID NOT immediately make an EaseUs rescue CD.

I routinely create restore points before installing software or making changes. Windows Update also creates restore points.

Then something happened to lock a file on J: so that I couldn't delete it. I ran Unlocker against the file. It couldn't unlock the handle but offered to delete it after the next reboot. I said yes and rebooted. It would not reboot.

After fooling around the rescue environment started, I selected Repair which failed. I then tried to restore to each of the available restore points. ALL OF THEM FAILED reporting error 0x80070091 from AppsStaging, %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps. It seems that a windows update KB3213986 broke system restore a couple of months ago and Microsoft has not fixed it.

Because I had not created an EaseUs rescue disk I contacted EaseUs support. They provided me with two files, 
TB10.0_home_win10&8_BIOS.iso, and 
TB10.0_home_win10&8_EFI.iso
which they said would be able to restore from my system backup. I burned both of them to CDs.

The TB10.0_home_win10&8_BIOS.iso CD booted the machine, I restored the system backup. The machine would not boot. EaseUs support advised me to restore again but select sector by sector. I did. The machine would not boot. EaseUs does not seem to work.

I would really like to restore the system because I have Visual Studio 2012, an old COBOL, and Visual FoxPro 9 compilers installed which would be difficult to duplicate. I also have Office 2013 Pro and I normally run Outlook for email, but I can replace them and I have all the data files on USB disks.

I have some questions.

1. I have a Macrium rescue CD but it is from Win 7. I never made a Macrium rescue CD under Win 10. Where can I get an iso to create a Win 10 Macrium rescue CD to try to restore the system from a many months old Macrium image?

2. If I reset windows will it go back to Win 7 because it is a machine that has been upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7?

3. Does anybody have any useful ideas for this boat anchor?

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:21 AM

I would try to fix the VSS issue (and any other Windows issues) first.

Open an elevated Command prompt, type sfc /SCANNOW and hit Enter.

Windows will attempt to fix any system-related files, such as VSSAdmin.

DISM is also another tool you can use to fix Windows corrupton.

Here is a good article from TenForums on using the DISM repair options...

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

Finally, if both fail to correct the issue, I would download and run the free tool Windows Repair by Tweaking.com. This link is for the portable version on MajorGeeks...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_windows_repair_portable.html

#3 Paul_L

Paul_L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:57 AM

Maybe my first post wasn't clear enough.

It won't boot from the internal disk. Just a black screen. Nothing.

The Macrium Reflect failure involving VSS was the first problem.

Then it locked a file, I used Unlocker allowing it to delete after a reboot.

It wouldn't boot. EaseUs restore system doesn't work. It's a boat anchor.

Should I try to boot using the Macrium Win 7 rescue disk?

Can I get a Macrium Win 10 rescue disk iso?

If I reset windows will it go back to Win 7?

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

I think the order of events was not clear...you couldn't boot, then you tried to do a System Restore, etc.

You can use the Macrium Rescue Disk...it boots from whatever environment is on the the disk (Linux, WinPE).

Resetting Windows 10 will not revert to Windows 7.

If you have the Windows 10 installation media, you might try a refresh.

Advanced Startup Options -

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-boot-advanced-startup-options-windows-10-a.html#option5

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-boot-advanced-startup-options-windows-10-a.html#option6

Refresh -

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4090-refresh-windows-10-a.html

Edited by jwoods301, 06 June 2017 - 02:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users