Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temporary (1-5 minutes) Internet Disconnection - All pings/tracert show same IP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zwaig

Zwaig

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

Hi all,

I am hoping someone is able to shed any kind of light on my problem. It has been going on for weeks and as I am the IT tech at work I am unsure where to turn! Google searching for similar problems only shows a few unsolved posts.

Basically, throughout the day, multiple times a day but only for a few minutes, the internet will stop working and I cannot access any websites (outside of browser also).

The strange thing is if I ping or tracert any website, they are all being shown as 129.129.129.129 (Google, Facebook, Youtube etc).

I also have a Virtual Machine installed (Windows XP) and this is not affected and will continue to have internet access. Likewise for all other devices on the network, they are unaffected.

I have tried some basic diagnostics (flushdns, clearing history/cache) to no avail.

Please let me know if you need any other information and I look forward to seeing what you guys think the problem could be!

Much appreciated,

Sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:31 PM

So is this a server or just a workstation on the network?

Few things to check would be default gateway on the machine, check routing tables using command (route print), check hosts file for any edits.

Is there a scheduled task running at this time of day?

IP lists here http://bgp.he.net/ip/129.129.129.129#_ipinfo

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 05 June 2017 - 11:31 PM.

#3 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

Hi all,

I am hoping someone is able to shed any kind of light on my problem. It has been going on for weeks and as I am the IT tech at work I am unsure where to turn! Google searching for similar problems only shows a few unsolved posts.

Basically, throughout the day, multiple times a day but only for a few minutes, the internet will stop working and I cannot access any websites (outside of browser also).

The strange thing is if I ping or tracert any website, they are all being shown as 129.129.129.129 (Google, Facebook, Youtube etc).

I also have a Virtual Machine installed (Windows XP) and this is not affected and will continue to have internet access. Likewise for all other devices on the network, they are unaffected.

I have tried some basic diagnostics (flushdns, clearing history/cache) to no avail.

Please let me know if you need any other information and I look forward to seeing what you guys think the problem could be!

Much appreciated,

Sam

Just for the insanity:

The problem is you are in IT and you are a desktop technician.  Just make a problem ticket and get the engineers involved with it and stop trying to fix it yourself.
I had this problem with Windows 7 pro.

I forced the issue to play three shell monte by connecting all devices to the same source and only one would go out periodically.
What you should do is just grab a network analyzer tool.  A rumor is most people use them for their 1Us.  If the network connection goes out then you will know about it through notification.  (I also think it does something to the network interface too indirectly and that is why security people use them)

#4 Zwaig

Zwaig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

Thank you both for the responses. Since then I have finally had another device on the network come forward with the same issue, so I will rule out my computer.

This is an unusual problem for me and I enjoy getting involved to see how/if I could fix it, but thank you for your concern.

We are currently in the process of changing ISP providers so i'm inclined to wait for that before investigating further, however I will play around with a network analyzing tool in the meantime. I will concede and outsource a network tech when the network analyzer makes no sense to me and the problem continues after the ISP change ;)

Cheers!
Sam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users