Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

excel 2013 stops working when trying to copy and paste into word windows 10

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fred93

fred93

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

My OS is Windows 10 Pro and I have Office 2013 . Everything has been working fine until today when I tried to copy a small cell from excel and paste it into word. I have done this many times in the past but now it won't work. 

When I open excel and select the info that I want to copy-then right click copy-the selected info gets a bordered dashed line around the info. Then I open word and go to the place where I want to paste the excel info and click paste--I get the rotating cursor for a minute--then a message pops up and says  the excel has stopped working--then another message comes up that says excel is trying to recover the information--then another message comes that says excel is restarting.

At this point I still have not been able to copy and paste anything. 

I CAN copy and paste within the excel file.

I have searched the web and found several supposed fixes but none of them work.

I can't remember when the last time that this was working ok but I feel that there have been one or more Windows updates since then.  

I checked to see if there have been any updates for Office 2013 but the list shows nothing--no updates at all.

Any help is appreciated---

Edited by Al1000, 06 June 2017 - 04:50 PM.
moved from Win 10 Discussion

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:58 PM

I have you tried the "brute force" potential fix of uninstalling Office 2013 and reinstalling it?

#3 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:59 PM

I have you tried the "brute force" potential fix of uninstalling Office 2013 and reinstalling it?

No I have not. If I do that will I need to backup my doc files? Also, I will need to find when I installed Office and whether or not it was a online download or a DVD

So I assume that you suggest uninstall then reinstall?? 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

No I have not. If I do that will I need to backup my doc files? Also, I will need to find when I installed Office and whether or not it was a online download or a DVD

So I assume that you suggest uninstall then reinstall??

You should not need to backup any DOC or XLS files. If stored locally, they should be in your Documents folder and stay there or maybe on a server if in an office. Since you are using Office 2013, there are likely not stored in OneDrive unless you choose to store them there (I don't believe OneDrive was fully integrated with Office 2013, but could be wrong)...but it should not matter anyway ass if stored in OneDrive they should not be affected.

The one that I don't recall is Outlook. I don't believe uninstalling Outlook will delete the PSTs, but just don't really recall.

Having said that, even though you likely should not need to backup, I generally tend to error on the side of caution and would likely suggest a backup.

If you have explored all other options, then an uninstall and reinstall is always a good option to try.

You could see if you can just uninstall Excel and reinstall it.

#5 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:08 PM

Thanks --I will give it a try (it may be a few days though-I have a lot on my plate right now)

Oh, BTW when I installed Office 2013 (back in 2015) I kept Office 2003 because I found a few things that I liked in 2003 as opposed to 2013. I assume that doing that should not confuse anything?

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:57 PM

Thanks --I will give it a try (it may be a few days though-I have a lot on my plate right now)

Oh, BTW when I installed Office 2013 (back in 2015) I kept Office 2003 because I found a few things that I liked in 2003 as opposed to 2013. I assume that doing that should not confuse anything?

I don't believe so.

#7 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:32 AM

Hello
Try the steps below

•     type Excel/safe in the Run box, then click OK. ...
  •     If the error is resolved, click File > Options > Add-ins.
  •     Select COM Add-ins and click Go.
  •     Clear all the check boxes in the list and click OK.
  •     Close and restart Excel.

#8 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

Hello
Try the steps below

•     type Excel/safe in the Run box, then click OK. ...
  •     If the error is resolved, click File > Options > Add-ins.
  •     Select COM Add-ins and click Go.
  •     Clear all the check boxes in the list and click OK.
  •     Close and restart Excel.

I tried that but it didn't correct the problem. See below for what I did next.

#9 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

I don't believe so.

Okay, here is what I did last night. I read online that if you go to "Programs and Features" then right click on Office 2013 a box pops up with two choices "uninstall or change" If you click on "change" another box pops up that gives you two options--"Quick Repair or Online Repair" At first I clicked "Quick Repair" (that didn't fix the problem) Then I clicked on "Online Repair" (that option actually reinstalled Office 2013 and that DID correct the problem)

Thanks for your help! As always you guys are the best!!

Attached Files

Edited by fred93, 07 June 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

I am glad you figured it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users