Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery icon doesn't change with power cord

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

Macbook pro 19.6.8

I unplugged for a thunderstorm. When I plugged back in I noticed that the battery icon on the left side of the menu bar didn't change. I seem to remember that there is a different icon for when the Macbook pro is plugged in and when it is running on the battery. I was only unplugged for a short while and the battery charge read at 99%. The little light on the end of the power cord was orange for a short while and then went to green and the charge now reads at 100%. I hope that means that my battery is charging and the power cord is working.

Neither of my Mac help books even mention the battery or power icons. I have found the Help on the menu bar absolutely useless. Maybe because my OS version is so old, tho I don't remember it ever being of great help.

Anyway, is there a way to check out the battery and fix the icon?

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

If the light on the MagSafe connector is green and the icon shows 100%, then it is likely working and fully charged. Does the little battery show a lightning bolt on it? That lightning bolt indicates that it is charging. If it is not there, then it is not currently charging (i.e. typically you have the power adapter unplugged).

The simple way to test it would be to unplug the power adapter. The icon should NOT have the lightning bolt and the percentage should decrease over time. Then plug it back in and the lightning bolt should appear and the light on the MagSafe should be orange until it reaches 100% at which time is should turn green.

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

When I looked at the battery icon for a lightning bolt I found what looks like an electric plug inside. When I unplugged the inside of the battery went dark. Easier to see than a lightning bolt. Once the charge went down to 99% i plugged back in and the little plug inside the battery came back. The little light on the end of the cord is still green, but the display often shows a rarge of 99%/100%. I'm pretty sure that light turns orange when its charging and green when it's finished.

I fell asleep last night waiting for an upload to Mega to finish and the computer was still saying 100% this morning so the cord is still working. The next time we have a long thunderstorm I'll see how long it takes the battery to drop its charge. We are supposed to have thunderstorms again today. Windows used to have a Power Manager that reported on the health of the battery. I haven't found anything like that in the drop down menu from the battery or preferences.

The icons on the menu bar are so small I'm always squinting at them. I have to get really close to see them clearly.  So I simply remembered wrong - that the electric plug was inside the battery icon rather than replacing it. And panicked because now is no time for me to replace a battery or cord. I'm doing that a lot these days. Being in Legal Hockeysticks is killing me while the bad lawyers and bankers just get richer.

mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

When I looked at the battery icon for a lightning bolt I found what looks like an electric plug inside. When I unplugged the inside of the battery went dark. Easier to see than a lightning bolt. Once the charge went down to 99% i plugged back in and the little plug inside the battery came back. The little light on the end of the cord is still green, but the display often shows a rarge of 99%/100%. I'm pretty sure that light turns orange when its charging and green when it's finished.

The plug is likely due to you using the older macOS version. I am using 10.10.x. My (admittedly fuzzy) memory does seem to recall that older versions used the little plug symbol rather than the lightning bolt symbol. I no longer have a Mac running 10.6, so I cannot verify it.

I fell asleep last night waiting for an upload to Mega to finish and the computer was still saying 100% this morning so the cord is still working. The next time we have a long thunderstorm I'll see how long it takes the battery to drop its charge. We are supposed to have thunderstorms again today. Windows used to have a Power Manager that reported on the health of the battery. I haven't found anything like that in the drop down menu from the battery or preferences.

The icons on the menu bar are so small I'm always squinting at them. I have to get really close to see them clearly.  So I simply remembered wrong - that the electric plug was inside the battery icon rather than replacing it. And panicked because now is no time for me to replace a battery or cord. I'm doing that a lot these days. Being in Legal Hockeysticks is killing me while the bad lawyers and bankers just get richer.

At a minimum, you should be able to go to the System Information app (or whatever it is called for 10.6...don't recall). It should have a section on Power that will give some health information about the battery. To do that, go to the Apple menu and select "About This Mac...". There should be a button that says "More info..." if memory serves (on newer versions, like what I am running, it is a button that says "System Report..."). That button will get you a window that lists a bunch of things along the left side. One of those items should be Power or something similar. There should then be a second on battery health.

There are also third party utilities. One is coconutBattery:

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

They still offer a download of a version for macOS 10.6 (version 2.8 of the software is for 10.6...you will find the link for it towards the bottom of the page). There are likely other options out there, but I have actually used coconutBattery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users