Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I appricate everyone's help.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 normrf

normrf

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

I have ordered a cd of Linux Mint through this web site and i am going to try to download it on my non working HP Laptop that has nothing in the drive as all was taken away when i used that bummer of a download i found online. I sure hope it works as i only have the Bios that i can bring up.. It should be delivered in a week or so, maybe less.... if that doesnt work, not sure what i will do. I do have an older desktop that is running Windows XP and i will also try it on there and hope that it at least works there..

If anyone had any ideas on how i can use it on my laptop, any and all help will help.. I am not that savvy on a computer.... more like a newbe... so all comments would be most gratful.. Thank you all..  also thanks to all the makers and workers of bleepingcomuter for allowing me to ask for help...

Moved from Am I Infected

NickAu

Edited by NickAu, 05 June 2017 - 08:13 PM.
Mod Edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

Have no doubt Norm....Linux will work.

Relax....you are in good hands.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:49 PM

Indeed, and Linux mint is dead simple

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:49 AM

Couldn't agree more. Any probs, just ask away; I'm sure we can help you get up-and-running.

You'll like Mint, if you're used to XP. Very easy to use..!

Mike.  :wink: 

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:01 AM

OP's other topic....I am normrf, and need help to get my HP laptop running...

Curious as to the website you purchased the Linux Mint from and if you selected 32bit or 64bit.

Be sure to run Linux Mint as LIVE before deciding to install. Doing that should tell you whether it is compatible with your hardware and

if it can connect to the Internet. Suggest first not using WIFI .

While you await the delivery.....​How to install Linux Mint on your Windows PC | ZDNet

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 fishCode

fishCode

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

From a security standpoint you should be careful where you buy software from. You never know what devious things might be pre-installed... The only place I would even think about installing or using a Linux Mint DVD from is the Linux Mint organization directly. You can easily download the image file from Linux Mint's official page and burn it onto a blank DVD or USB drive. The image file is a *.ISO file that is the entire DVD file structure in a format that can be burned as a bootable DVD. There are a number of different tools that you can use to do this on Windows XP (I don't know if XP has the 'Burn Image to Disc' option or if that came later). Windows 7 and later I believe you can simply right click on the ISO file and click Burn Image to Disc...

Download the image file from Linux Mint:

32-bit for older machines:

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=225

64-bit for newer machines (if you have a multi-core processor like a core2duo or an i3 or above you are probably safe with this 64-bit version):

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=226

I prefer to use the torrent download as it is very fast. I also like qbittorent as a bittorrent client as it is very lightweight, open source, and without ads (it also is available for Linux when you get that working):

https://www.qbittorrent.org/

Burn a DVD:

Once the ISO is downloaded, insert a blank DVD and see if you have an option to "Burn Image to Disc...", Windows 7 and up should have this feature I believe.

If you do not have the above option you either must burn to a USB Stick or acquire software that will burn the image to a DVD.

Free ISO Burner looks like a good option, though I have never used it:

http://www.freeisoburner.com/

Once you have burned the ISO to the DVD you can then boot from it as you would normally do with an installation DVD.

Burn to USB:

You will need to download Win32DiskImager:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Once you have installed Win32DiskImager you can insert a USB flash drive

Open Win32DiskImager and select the ISO image as the source and the USB drive as the destination (BE SURE YOU SELECT THE CORRECT DESTINATION DRIVE!)

Click write and it should begin writing the ISO to the USB drive. Once this is done you can eject the drive and you now have a bootable Linux Mint USB Stick. This stick will operate the same as the DVD, you will just need to select it at boot either through BIOS or your BIOS boot menu.

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,037 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

If burning a CD/DVD using Windows XP, and you don't already have disk burning software, I recommend FreeISOBurner.

Scroll down this page for download link, and instructions on how to use.

EDIT: Just noticed download link for FreeISOBurner is also in above post. :)

Edited by Al1000, 06 June 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,437 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

Just to add my two penn'orth, a very good basic optical burning software is BurnCDCC. It's available from Terabyte Unlimited's site, here:-

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm

Second item down. We recommend this one to newbies on the Puppy Linux Forums, 'cos it really is foolproof. Simply unzip it anywhere you like, and click on the executable. I say it's foolproof, because it does one thing, and one thing only; it burns an ISO image to an optical disk. Period. That's all it does, so you can't go wrong with it.

Recommended.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 06 June 2017 - 05:44 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 normrf

normrf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

Thank you for that information Mike, being a newbie I'm really hoping that the full instructions will come with the CD of Linux Mint that I ordered from their website.. but if I have to do something with the ISO file I will surely give your info a try.

Again, thank you so much. 

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

Hi

, being a newbie I'm really hoping that the full instructions will come with the CD of Linux Mint that I ordered from their website..

Once your disk arrives all you need to do is pop it into your CD/DVD drive and boot the PC, You shouldnt even need to reset the boot order but if you do.

HP PCs - Configuring the Boot Order in the System BIOS | HP ...

#11 normrf

normrf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Thank you for that info, NickAu.... but I am concerned of my HP Laptop because when I put that darn  program in my hard drive last year it wiped everything off the hard drive, it was called _Getintopc.com_Dell_Windows_XP_Home_Edition.daa.  I was told that it most likely wiped out  all the drivers in my PC and I may not be able to do any thing with it as I cant even  search for anything it doesn't even let me have my WIFI... nothing, just my BIOS..  

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

Hey normrf

This should help choose what version of Linux Mint you have and download the user guide.

https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php

I doubt you wrecked your hard drive.

Without any OS to boot up into you won't see any wifi or anything else.

The Toolman

Edited by The-Toolman, 06 June 2017 - 09:34 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#13 normrf

normrf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon - Install/Live DVD (32-bit) ... I just got an answer from the company I ordered the DVD from and that is what I ordered. My DVD may be here by the end of the week or early next week... I sure hope it gets my HP Laptop up and running

#14 normrf

normrf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:14 PM

I'm not sure just what  Install/Live DVD means

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,485 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:27 PM

I'm not sure just what  Install/Live DVD means

Live DVD means you install the DVD in the DVD/CD drive and restart your computer enter the boot menu and choose DVD/CD drive to boot from.

Then let Linux Mint load and than you can run it without installing it however in your case just install since you have no OS .

https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/Cinnamon/english_18.0.pdf

Edited by The-Toolman, 06 June 2017 - 09:34 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users