Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difference between graphics and RAMs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bcmo

bcmo

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

1) What's a better screen: 1920 x 1080 with a Intel HD Graphics 520, or 1366 x 768 with a Intel HD graphics 620?
2) If gaming isn't intended, (just Word processing, web browsing, YouTube watching, etc.) does 8GB DDR4 2400MHz really provide a noticeable improvement over a 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz?

Each model has a advantage over the other as well as a disadvantage, and I'm trying to figure out which one outweighs.

(I am not taking the 128GB vs. 256GB SSD into account or asking about that since there's an option to change the 128GB into a 256GB one.)

Your input will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 06 June 2017 - 10:08 AM.
Moved from Buying New to Internal Hardware, then moved back - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:28 PM

Answer 1: the 1920x1080 will be a better choice as it offers better resolution (1080p)

Answer 2: Not really but DDR4 will be more up to date and more future proof

However if money is an issue there would be no shame in getting the Dell i5567-5274GRY, getting what you can afford is better than worrying about how state of the art you can get.

There is no issue with getting a low spec laptop as long as it offers what you need and offers good quality and Dell is very good at that these days.

You would still get a good decent laptop even if the 1080p model is out of your reach.

Edited by MadmanRB, 05 June 2017 - 11:32 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:44 AM

The one on Staples has NY sales tax in addition to the price, so the cost ends up being almost identical to the other one.

Does a 1080p screen just make everything smaller (fitting more on the screen), or does it also make everything clearer in addition to the size?

(It seems that you're of the opinion that the benefit from the 1080p - 520 computer with DDR3 outweighs that of the 720p - 620 computer with DDR4.)

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

Well if thats the case I would get the 1080p model and be done with it.

I mean its not like Skylake is not a good option and sure its a bit older however it will do the job you want it to and deliver good performance.

The Kaby lake upgrade really is a mixed bag as sure it offers better performance but its not like its going to matter enough for one to notice.

The only real justfication is how new the Kaby lake model is but honestly if they can be gotten at the same price but one offers better resolution I would go for the one with better resolution.

Or the one with more hard drive space.

In reality its a pick your poison scenario however either computer would still work great but higher resolutions do look better

Edited by MadmanRB, 06 June 2017 - 11:17 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:31 PM

In reality its a pick your poison scenario however either computer would still work great but higher resolutions do look better

The question is if the benefit from the 1080p will really be felt (and worth the sacrifice of DDR4 2400MHz) if the intended use isn't really for too much video watching but just general web browsing and Word processing, etc. (by "YouTube watching" above I meant more like clips here and there or short videos, but not documentaries or movies, etc.).

#6 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

There's practically no difference between DDR4 and DDR3 unless we were comparing low speed DDR3 (e.g. 1333MHz) vs very high speed DDR4 (e.g. 4266). The difference in 1600MHz  and 2400MHz would only be noticeable in games (and even then it would be a 1 - 2 FPS in only a few games). The main difference in speed whilst general use is not the Graphics, speed of RAM, or processor (to an extent), it's more to do with the SSD and seeing as you already have one selected, you might as well get the 1080p monitor as it generally looks nicer.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

I'm with the rest of the crowd and would recommend the 1080p (1920x1080) machine.

If the screens are the same physical size, things displayed on the higher resolution screen will be smaller, but can be made to appear larger if necessary.  A higher resolution is more dots per inch, so things should be clearer as they can be better defined.

#8 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:24 PM

Thank you all.

(Just hope the smaller size of everything on a 1080p screen won't be stressful for my eyes, as the size of my current 720p seems like an okay size.)

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

If you're using Windows 10 there is a slider in Display that allows you to change the size of text, apps, and other items.  CTRL+Mouse Wheel up will zoom in for most applications.  Making things bigger on a higher resolution screen is easier than making things smaller on a lower resolution screen.

#10 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

If I'd need to enlarge things, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of getting a higher resolution screen?

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:01 PM

If I'd need to enlarge things, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of getting a higher resolution screen?

Not at all.  When you enlarge them they will be clearer, that's all.  Having the higher resolution gives you more flexibility.  At work I use 24" monitors set to 1080p and at home I use 27" monitors.  I zoom to 125% to 150% for most things, but can watch DVDs and Bluray movies at 1080p.

#12 bcmo

bcmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 236 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

Seeing that the laptop's model number isn't included (which I can't understand how Amazon allows) is there any reason not to trust the seller of the laptop, being that they offer presumably the exact same laptop on another page as well (and the price is slightly different)?

#13 bhaveshk

bhaveshk

• Banned Spammer
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:02 AM

Your systems ram and graphics card ram are normally two different types of memory. Graphics ram is the ram built on to a graphics card for use. The system ram is your main memory. 

Intel GMA950 is integrated graphic card. Your computer doesn't have a graphics card, instead the motherboard has an integrated motherboard graphics chipset that substitutes for a normal video card. This device borrows from your systems main ram, to use video ram. You have enough main ram to lend some to your graphics card. For Counter Strike Source you will have to allocate more ram, and I do not know how to do this exactly with your system. Graphics properties may have the option some where. However, it seems that many people have problems with Counter Strike Source on their GMA950 systems. You will probably better off getting a copy of the original counter strike. There are ways around it but I have not been able to find a clear answer on google.

#14 JacobIdris

JacobIdris

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:16 AM

Answer is 1. Full HD resolution. With 16:9 aspect ratio. Best screen possible. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users