Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Skype 4.3 Desktop Client to quit working after July 1st, 2017

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:40 PM

Evening, all.

Just to let y'all know, the Qt-based Skype 4.3 desktop client will quit working after the 1st July this year...for good. After this date, it'll refuse to work at all, as the API is being retired from service.

Screenshot from the Skype downloads for Linux webpage:-

QjdQ7Vq.png

This is reported on the OMG! Ubuntu site, here:-

No doubt some of you have been hearing about the fuss generated by MicroSoft's decision to overhaul the app's GUI, and to make it more SnapChat-like. This has thoroughly annoyed an awful lot of people around the world, especially in the business community, where it's used by many organizations for conference calls, and keeping in touch with operatives in the field.

Not only this, but after it's been released  initially for Android(!), followed by Windows, Mac, and finally iOS, that's it; that's as far as development of the new version goes. 

Linux users don't get a look-in on this new version.....at all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're not totally abandoned, however. There is an Electron-based Skype for Linux 'Beta' now out, following on from the 'Skype for Linux alpha' that was released last year. If you download the .deb package on the Skype downloads page, this is what you will get. Skype for Linux Beta 5.3.

y4hfZLn.png

(In reality, the penguin is dancing about from side to side, with a happy smile on its face. Who the hell dreams this stuff up..??  :lol:  :rolleyes:  *Stroll on...*)

It is only available in a 64-bit package; so for those of you who haven't yet 'moved with the times', you'll need to run a 64-bit Pup (or other Linux distro) in order to try it out. (Unlike the older, Qt-based Skype, which was 32-bit only, and required 32-bit compatibility libs to work with 64-bit systems. (Multi-arch, I believe.....or multi-lib? Something like that.)) It installs, and runs with no hassle in Tahr64 6.05; I haven't yet tried Slacko64.....it may work, it may not; .debs are rather hit & miss in the Slackware-based Pups at the best of times!

To those of you who may have tried the browser-based 'Skype for Web', this beta will look very familiar, as it's the exact same interface. In fact, I believe it is the web interface, just on the desktop. (I'm doubly convinced of that, as I've been using the browser version with the 'dark' theme, since 4.3 hasn't been working properly for months.....and the 'beta' version picked it up, and switched from 'light' to 'dark', within seconds of start-up, just like the web version does.) The difference is supposed to be that video-calling works in the Beta, where it didn't in the Alpha.....   :rolleyes:  

We shall see.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will be, for some of you, a golden opportunity to start exploring the many modern alternatives out there. Here's a few suggestions:-

One that isn't mentioned is WIRE. I covered this in my recent thread on the Puppy Forums about using AppImages, here:-

I've been using this to correspond with a couple of friends in the States.....and so far, it's been working flawlessly. It's run in every Pup I've tried it in, 32- and 64-bit alike; there are AppImages available for both.

I'll be experimenting with the new Electron-based 5.3 Beta, and I'll keep y'all posted.

----------------------------------------------------

A comment from one of the 100's posted to one of MakeUseOf's articles on this sorry saga:-

Scabrone
March 9, 2017 at 8:24 am

Skype continual forced updates. I was happy with older version but now the new version refuse to work on old hardware. The new owner microbleep company force us to buy new computer for using for basic operations like talk on skype.
Why is necessary to buy an new computer or to install win 10 bleep for that ?
This is usual microsoft bullbleep to take our money for nothyng.
Microsoft is not a company, is a criminal organization.

^^  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ..... :hysterical:

(The editor put the 'bleeps' in.....not me!)

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 June 2017 - 07:49 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

Good topic Mike

I use WIRE

Why ?...because it works !!

I am running Linux mint 18.1 (Cinnamon) 64 bit

zxsbdl.jpg

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:28 AM

Hiya, Brian. Thought you'd abandoned us..!

Oh, it's not as though I particularly like Skype, but it used to be a darned sight better before MyCrudSoft got their paws on it. It's funny you should say about WIRE, 'cos that's what I've settled on, this last few months. It does everything I ever used Skype for, and what I particularly like about it is being able to run it as an AppImage; it'll work with any distro you care to try it on.....32- and 64-bit alike. I haven't found anything yet it won't work with...

Stick it anywhere you like.....and just click on it. Bob's your mother's brother..!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:- Just installed it into Slacko64, and, wonder of wonders, the .deb has behaved itself and it's running perfectly (so far). As stated above, I use WIRE most of the time now, but unfortunately, most of us will probably need to hang on to a copy of Skype in some format or other for a while, since, in my case, there's still too many family members who won't try the alternatives.....  :rolleyes:

(*shrug*)

However, judging by the massive number of complaints about the new version's GUI overhaul, and dropping of essential features (like not being able to see the 'local' time for whoever you're calling (!!!!!)), I can see a general migration away from Skype over the next several months.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 06 June 2017 - 05:35 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

Well....you probably didnt get a chance to read my post here...approx 20 mins ago....an eagle swooped from on high and 'poof' went all my typing !

Just to reiterate....I have not 'abandoned' BC....just growing somewhat tired of the ongoing heavy handed attitudes that appear to abound here. However....this is off topic !!

I would reason that skype has become somewhat top heavy...possibly/probably due to added crap from msft which more than likely is aimed at reducing ones privacy a little more...

I speak to people the world over using Wire....and have nothing but good to say about it. Works flawlessly.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

Well....you probably didnt get a chance to read my post here...approx 20 mins ago....an eagle swooped from on high and 'poof' went all my typing !

Any posts that violate the forum rules are liable to be removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users