Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows doesnt recognize antivirus if its turned off and then back on

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sunbread1

Sunbread1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

I noticed this:

I disabled all protections on Emsisoft antimalware to not interfere with sophos scan. This is not same as the other option for turning it ofg for 10min/60min etc.

When i disabled the emsisoft entirely, it activates Windows defender. When i enable emsisoft back on and restart computer, the emsisoft program says my pc is protected, but in security center Windows says all threat defences are OFF and even control panels security & maintenace section do not find any antivirus.

Windows only recognizes "other antivirus" after like 2 minutes.

I had no idea Windows lags behind like this, i connected to internet after enabling Emsisoft while thinking im protected.

Now i am worried i was online without any protection!

Does anyone know if that described lag is just cosmetic or is there actual delay in activating defenses?

Edited by Sunbread1, 05 June 2017 - 05:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:39 PM

Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it typically is disabled automatically by the installation or pre-install of a third-party anti-virus except for Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10 Anniversary Update. This is by design by Microsoft. Windows Defender recognizes the install and automatically disables itself when other anti-virus products are used to avoid conflicts...(see bottom note). When uninstalling the third-party anti-virus Defender should automatically turn itself on after rebooting the computer and begin protecting your system. In some cases Defender does not enable itself and needs to be manually turned on (activated) if you choose to use it.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

Yeah, but i turned emsisoft back on which automatically turned off defender. After pc restart Windows didnt recognize ANY antivirus even though emsisoft was telling its protecting pc. Windows only recognized third party antivirus after few minutes while defender was also turned off.

So is this actual security flaw or just cosmetic error and emsisoft was protecting pc even if Windows security center said there is NO antivirus?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

What you describe is not uncommon and it typically is an issue with Windows Action Center (Security Center) which checks for many common anti-virus, anti-malware and firewall programs...it has nothing to do with Emsisoft. The Action Center gets its data from the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Repository and uses a two-tiered approach for detection status. One tier is manual, and the other tier is automatic through WMI. In manual detection mode, Windows Action Center searches for registry keys and files that are provided to Microsoft by independent software manufacturers. These registry keys and files allow Windows to detect the status of independent software. Even though both the third-party anti-virus and Firewall are working properly, for some reason Window's Action Center gets confused from time to time.

As a side note, it is not uncommon for a delay in the security software to sync up with the WMI repository, particularly if the computer is taxed by startup programs and services which utilize large amounts of system resources.

If the issue continues, then you should ask Microsoft. Support for Windows Defender is provided by the Microsoft Community Forums and specific issues only related to Windows Defender should be reported to Microsoft so they can investigate.

#5 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

Okay, so emsisoft was protecting the pc all along.

I just had installed the Windows and emsisoft one of the very few programs i have had time to install. To my knowledge there are no heavy startup programs, because i havent installed much of anything and nothing that starts up at boot.

#6 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:39 PM

I just wanna emphasize that Windows defender was also turned off while not recognizing any third party antiviruses either.

I kinda just want confirmation from you, that you understood my issue, and that there is nothing to worry about.

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:38 PM

You don't mention which version of Windows your using, but you might try rebuilding the WMI Repository...

1. Open an elevated Command prompt.

2. Enter the following commands (one at a time and hit Enter)...

cd \windows\system32\wbem
net stop winmgmt
rename Repository Repository.old
net start winmgmt

3. At this point there will be no repository at all. In order to create one, you’ll have to run a WMI-using application. The simplest way to do this is to go back to Computer Management and open Services & Applications -> WMI Control, then right-click and choose Properties. There will be a delay of some seconds while a new repository is created.

4. Reboot.

Solution courtesy of Katy Coe at katyscode.wordpress.com

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:41 PM

For Windows 7, there is also a Hotfix for this issue...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2482947/system-health-report-doesn-t-detect-antivirus-programs-in-windows-7

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,933 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:59 AM

From this topic yesterday.

...I use Windows 10 if that maked difference....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users