Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to upgrade from XP, could use some advice.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dnap

dnap

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:05 PM

So I've been using XP forever, and have been using the same copy of Server 2003/XP 64-bit for the last 8 years or so. But with the lack of support, and compatibility issues, it doesn't run as good as it used to, so I was thinking of upgrading to Windows 7. My plan is to keep XP as it is, on it's own hard drive, and just buy another hard drive to install Windows 7 on, and make the computer a multi-boot since I already have a dual-boot. So basically my main Windows which I use 99% of the time, and the other Windows, which is mainly just a backup, as it is installed on a separate drive in case my main drive goes bad. 

But anyways, I'm wondering, does anyone know a good place to buy Windows 7? Newegg has it for $140, but there is a 10% off code which brings it down to $126, but that is still a lot, especially for an OS that only has 2.5 years of support left. That's for https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416804&ignorebbr=1.  I've tried torrented versions in the past, but they never worked right, and would always ask for a product key, so I never stuck with them. Truthfully, I don't really like Windows 7. I love the layout and interface of XP, but like I said above, it's getting worse and worse to use safely and efficiently.

And as far as hard drives go, I currently use a WD Velociraptor, which I like because of the notable difference in speed compared to regular 7200rpm hard drives. So I was likely planning on getting another one with just more space like this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAEE4RG6232&ignorebbr=1. My current drive is only 300gb, with 31% free space left, so 500gb would be plenty for me. But at the same time, I wonder about going with the SSD route, but then wouldn't I need a separate drive for my data if I use an SSD? Or could I have all my files, music, videos etc all on the SSD along with Windows and still work good? I know the general consensus is to use the SSD for programs, and a separate drive for all your data, but I don't want to have to buy 2 hard drives on top of Windows 7.

So would be the best course of action here, for the best/cheapest place to buy Windows 7, and what should I do regarding a hard drive vs. SSD?

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:34 AM

Nobody has any advice for me?

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

This is just my personal opinion. Windows 7 end of live is in about 3 years. If you plan on using the computer for basic use I would install Mint Cinnamon on the drive and then install XP as a VM using Virtual Box. You have plenty of RAM and Linux Mint would run very well using the AMD FX-8350. Your CPU must have virtualization support. You could boost the drive to maybe a 1TB for a decent price and forget the SSD. 

You may want to look at a Windows 7 or 10 refurbished computer through Amazon. You can get a fairly decent computer including Windows 7 for less than what you would paying for Windows 7 alone.

SSDs are usually used for OS only and a platter drive for your data

Edit: Looks like your CPU does support virtualization.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2026596/amd-8350-support-hardware-virtualization-reference.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 June 2017 - 01:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users