Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pest Control Takeover

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:51 PM

I'm working on a Toshiba laptop with XP/SP2. Recently was on the net when I got a popup from Pest Control saying that my computer was infected and that I should clean up using their program. Since this isn't my laptop, I just assumed that this was a program she had installed and wanted used. SOOOO....I went ahead and did their scan. They "found" 101 infections and of course to clean them all I had to do was to purchase their $39.95 program. At that point I realized too late that I was being scammed. Ran a windows defender and MacAffee scan which both showed no problems.
My real problems began soon after. I began to have Pest control simply popup and begin running in the middle of any internet activity. Two red balls with Xs appeared in my Taskbar and most annoyingly continuously have a popup saying " /!\ Your computer is infected!
Windows has detected spyware infection
It is recommended to use special antispyware tools to prevent data loss.
Windows will now download and install the most up-to-date antispyware for you.
Click here to protect your computer from spyware"
When I tried to remove Pest control via Add/Remove Programs, I would get a notice saying that the program could not be removed until it was closed. Since I was not overtly running it, it was obviously hiding out in the background. I then disabled it from the startup menu and was subsequently able to delete it.
Although the actual Pest Control program no longer pops up, I still have these two pervasive little red balls in my taskbar which continuously pop up this warning. This overrides any open window and is driving me crazy!
PLEASE someone help me!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:52 PM

Hi mpetrodoc
try reading this Click Here
see if this helps you.
If this doesn't work, come back and let us know.
Good luck.

BBPP6nz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users