Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After running a particular program my PC compltely slows down for 4-5 minutes.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 usernamechecksout

usernamechecksout

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

I couldn't fix the problem myself, and I decided to ask here, I really have no idea why and what is happening, so I hope someone could help.

I have a game, that works fine for everyone and worked fine for me since the last time I tried it, less than a month ago, but all of a sudden, now when I run it, my PC slows down to the bare minimum, I barely have a FPS for about 4 minutes, and then the game launches and everything is fine, like nothing happened.

So I wanted to diagnose the problem, the game is legit, scanned with Avira, MWB, Virus Total (all though only the exe), everything is great, people do not have this problem with it.

Now I really wanted to understand what is going on, and what I did first, is I tried it running it of an SSD, same, I then checked it with Process Explorer, nothing showing up, usual CPU numbers going up at some point, NOTHING else is wrong, GPU stale, everything excellent. I have a fairly OK PC. I7-2600, R280x 3GB, 850 evo, but I know that is not the problem as this game runs normal after finally starting.

I tried Rkill while running it, updating my Windows, scanning it with MWB and Avira, JRT, hitman pro, process explorers not popping anything, event viewer - not a single thing, without internet (for some reason). No fix, yet people don't even meet this problem.

It is bothering so much that I cannot sleep, just because I really want to diagnose what the hell is wrong with the 4 minute PC slowdown, I heard some people having a slowdown for a second or similar, but I literally can go make food and still come back and can't move my mouse yet. Well, after 2-3 minutes, it gets a bit better, like 3-4 FPS for a minute or so. If I ran it from Sandboxie, I get a decent run time, like a minute and a half before the game starts, so it is a bit faster.

I generally want to ask, WHAT in the world could this be, taking in measure that:

-the same game worked perfect fine a month ago, the same program, not a new download.

-tried every diagnostic tool (that I know of), but could not find anything useful.

-no one has this problem, some people have 1-2 second slow down, mine is nearly 5 minutes and the only toaster I own is in the kitchen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:00 PM

Sounds like a memory leak. In games, there are things like global variables. Every time a value changes, it stores the previous value. This would fill the RAM up making it run slower. There are reasons this might not have happened before. Examples of such would be an update that uses more global variables or that you are running more background programs than you were before so cannot handle it as well as you used to be able. I recommend either using a resource monitor program or task manager to see which resources are being overused while the game is running. Get back to me. 

P.S. i just kinda skimmed through the question, so if i missed anything that would rule this out, i apologize.

A potential fix for this would be SmartClose. Run that and whitelist any programs that you need to be running, like steam if it is a steam game.

P.P.S. Did you check your cpu temps when running it? Use speccy for this.

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 05 June 2017 - 07:01 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

#3 usernamechecksout

usernamechecksout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

@TOMIS13LACK

Hey, I listed those stuff already, well I did not say about the temps, but those are normal too. It cannot be a memory leak as I don't really have any ram problem, memory is not what is getting triggered in this process, actually nothing is, but I am running my pc with a single FPS, so it is weird. This game though, it is playing perfectly when started, the whole problem is from the moment I click the .exe file to the point, to the point it opens the menu where I choose resoultion, windowed mode etc. or click play, again, when the game starts - I have no performance issue.

I highly recommend to read the whole text, because it is as weird as it could get imo. As for the SmartClose program, what exactly it is?

#4 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

@TOMIS13LACK

Hey, I listed those stuff already, well I did not say about the temps, but those are normal too. It cannot be a memory leak as I don't really have any ram problem, memory is not what is getting triggered in this process, actually nothing is, but I am running my pc with a single FPS, so it is weird. This game though, it is playing perfectly when started, the whole problem is from the moment I click the .exe file to the point, to the point it opens the menu where I choose resoultion, windowed mode etc. or click play, again, when the game starts - I have no performance issue.

I highly recommend to read the whole text, because it is as weird as it could get imo. As for the SmartClose program, what exactly it is?

Smart Close is a program that automatically closes all non-important programs, stop misc services, etc. in order to speed up computers, etc. It is basically like rkill but closing all non-windows programs rather than potential threats. It would be able to tell us if it is a program, malicious or not. Does it only happen with this specific game, any other programs, or what? Is this game demanding of any resources much more than others? Do you have any parts that are congested with dust? Those parts could be CPU, Ram, Any possible pin connections really (pci extensions, etc)

Your PSU (Power Supply Unit) could also be failing or just generally not supplying enough voltage for the mobo aswell and nothing is reading high because it cannot get that high. If it is failing, it can appear to be working fine at first until resources require more power.

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 05 June 2017 - 07:49 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

#5 usernamechecksout

usernamechecksout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

@TOMIS13LACK

Smart Close is a program that automatically closes all non-important programs, stop misc services, etc. in order to speed up computers, etc. It is basically like rkill but closing all non-windows programs rather than potential threats. It would be able to tell us if it is a program, malicious or not. Does it only happen with this specific game, any other programs, or what? Is this game demanding of any resources much more than others? Do you have any parts that are congested with dust? Those parts could be CPU, Ram, Any possible pin connections really (pci extensions, etc)

Your PSU (Power Supply Unit) could also be failing or just generally not supplying enough voltage for the mobo aswell and nothing is reading high because it cannot get that high. If it is failing, it can appear to be working fine at first until resources require more power.

My PC runs anything else perfect, also my PSU is a new RM650x.

#6 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

@TOMIS13LACK

My PC runs anything else perfect, also my PSU is a new RM650x.

New doesn't necessarily mean working, are you sure it isn't defective? When you say everything is running perfect, what do you mean, that you've stress tested everything? If so, then this is very very strange and software seems to be the only thing. I'd recommend checking pin connections for dust or anything blocking a pin connection (not necessarily completely, just a little dust or debris would do it. This includes thermal paste or anything like that). Also, please answer the other questions involving the game.

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 05 June 2017 - 08:54 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

#7 usernamechecksout

usernamechecksout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:57 PM

@TOMIS13LACK

Yes, new does not mean not defective, that is for certain, but any other game that I have tried, works perfectly fine. This game is not really resource hungry, it runs perfect when it is already on. I cleaned my PC from dust a month ago, and I have a fairly decent dust protection along with cable management. If you read me closely you will get that nothing is actually lagging, just the moment when I click the exe, it goes crazy mode and NOTHING shows up on any explorer, that is what is bugging me, no increase in temperatures, CPU or GPU resources, nothing, everything is stable and normal, some spikes to 15-20% CPU usage, but nothing special again, so I don't know how it is possible for this to happen, its a mystery to me, after clicking the exe my PC turns into a PC from the 80's running a triple AAA 2017 game or something along those lines of impossible and what is crazy about is that thing lasts for minutes.

Edited by usernamechecksout, 05 June 2017 - 09:58 PM.

#8 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:59 AM

What av are you using? Sounds like it may be scanning it before allowing it to load.

Perhaps try excluding the exe in your av.

Also try booting into safe mode and see if the same thing happens there, if it doesn't it could mean a realtime program (your av for example) is affecting it.

#9 usernamechecksout

usernamechecksout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:04 AM

@opera

I have not mentioned that yet, sorry, but while I have not tried safe mode, I have tried with every anti-virus/malware software off, it happens the same.

#10 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:06 PM

I am interested in the results as I have this exact same senario with my email client (eM Client). When I say exact, I mean exactly as you have described in every post. Everything else works normal, games, web browsers x4, thunderbird, steam, ubi, whatever, even the email client in question was fine for months and one day, it takes 3-5 minutes to open. Once open, it runs great. I use Kaspersky and I notice the tray icon pulsing for about 20 seconds after I click the exe. I've whitelisted it anyway. I've tried multiple diagnosis as well.

Anyway, I am interested in what you find in your situation, I know it's a diffrent program but it sounds like the same issue. If I find anything else, I'll also share.

Edited by xrobwx, 06 June 2017 - 12:07 PM.

7581204627.png

#11 usernamechecksout

usernamechecksout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:19 PM

So I ran Process Monitor, found here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processmonitor.aspx.

And I tested with and without filtering the .exe.

First I saw what happens in general, and nothing much besides the .exe that I ran standalone, so I filtered everything out except the program I ran to get more clear view.

What I found interesting is that this game in about a minute it did around 100k processes and most of them were "looping" on and on just a few stuff.

For example:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\.....\PixelFormat

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\UnitedVideo\CONTROL\VIDEO\......\DefaultSettings.BitsPerPel

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\.....\Position.cy

and even though the result in Process Monitor is SUCCESS, they just keep on repeating for few minutes.

So yeah, I have no idea what do they exactly mean, but if anyone has idea hit me up.

What I wondered is maybe my GPU drivers have some complications with it, or something is up with my GPU because the same .exe was great a month ago and now it is not. I might need to try running in safe mode or re-installing my drivers, even though they are the latest version.

Edited by usernamechecksout, 06 June 2017 - 01:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users