Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need remote assistance to fix settings. Going fr Win 7 to XP

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Astrovel

Astrovel

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

My husband absolutely hated Win 7 which was on the computer we purchased for him about a year ago. So I had my old computer in the garage and put in a fresh XP install. It boots up fine, and we have transferred most of his files to this computer.

The only problem is when we disconnected the other computer, we lost the drivers and settings for getting on the internet through his D-Link adapter which ran though my computer which is the main computer on our Uverse account. It is connected to the internet by a Uverse modem like a DSL connection.

When I call Uverse, they say this is a job for the paid technicians which is ridiculous. They want to charge $49 to fix something that would take 5 min at most to walk me through the settings. Or I could sign up for a $14 per month service with contract and early cancellation fee of $120.

I am a disabled Senior lady on Soc. Sec. and cannot afford this kind of nasty manipulation on the part of Uverse. I am really upset that they have taken to ripping people off this way.

Is there someone out there in Bleeping Computerland that can help this old decrepit lady?

Thank you so much

V

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:12 PM

Info:  Excerpt from Forum Rules:  "All help must be provided in the forums or on our IRC Chat channel. We do not allow support to be provided or requested via personal message, email, or remote desktop control programs (Logmein, TeamViewer, etc)."

That rule exists to make members aware...as a form of protection...that all business re computer situations, etc...are to be conducted above board and as part of the BC Community approach to problem-solving.  No one may represent himself/herself as a BC member authorized to establish anything other than website/forum contact, onducted under the view of all members.  This protects you and this website from false or less-than-knowledgeable advice/suggestions from members.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 June 2017 - 04:15 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

The only problem is when we disconnected the other computer, we lost the drivers and settings for getting on the internet through his D-Link adapter which ran though my computer which is the main computer on our Uverse account. It is connected to the internet by a Uverse modem like a DSL connection.

This other computer is the Windows 7 computer? I am not sure how his Dlink adapter would connect through your computer? Is the Dlink adapter a Wifi adapter? When you look at the side of the Uverse Gateway/Modem do you see a yellow sticker that shows a Wifi passwork key? Don't post the key.

#4 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:59 PM

FWIW it's dangerous to run XP.  Exposed to the internet, current malware will have unrestricted access to it and there's nothing you can do as MS no longer supports it meaning they don't patch vulnerabilities.  You could have installed Classic Shell>

http://classicshell.net/

It allows you to customize the "skin" of the operating system so it can look like XP, soft of.  I like XP and Win7 but not Vista.  WinXP is not that different than Win7.  Chances are he doesn't do much more than internet browsing and email so what's the problem.  When you do exactly two things on the computer there's not much there to complain about.

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 06 June 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#5 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

HamLuis: Sorry...I didn't mean to violate any rules. I only meant I need help from a long ways away and some advice on how to fix my problem. I'll try to word my title better next time. When you're 83, your brain doesn't function well at times, especially when you are stressed out. Thanks for the reminder.

John C 21: The other computer is Win 7. I hated it too. I am running Win8 on my computer without too much difficulty but it was hard for me to use Win7 also.  His D-Link connects with USB connection. The ATT tech installed D-Link adapter the last time we complained about connectivity issues and they sent him out here to check. Yes I have a WiFi password. I don't remember if we had a network connection setup like you have in offices or not. If he did, I didn't think to write it down. Seems to me, someone told me you don't need a network setup if you have WiFi????. My computer is in the dining room and is the main computer for the Uverse connection. Modem is connected with thick cable coming into the house from outside. Art's PC is in a small bedroom about 50 feet down the hallway. So I think it must be a WIFI we need to set up. I am so angry that ATT will not walk you through a simple settings without gigging you for $40. (Simple for younger, smarter folks than we)

Aaron: I did not even know of this Classic Shell or maybe I wouldn't have gone to all the trouble to set up another computer for my husband. He is starting to have some Alzheimers symptoms with reduced memory so anything the least bit difficult, he can't handle and winds up with 15 things on his computer open at the same time and gets really frustrated. He is trying to write a book about the Berlin Airlift and he keeps saving his work under new names all the time so I have to go in and cancel stuff out and help him get back up to snuff. We do have a virus protection and also Malwarebytes so if it happens, it happens and then we can go back and try to recover Win 7 to put on the Classic Shell.

And yes, he doesn't do more than research the internet for his in process book, write emails and check FB once in awhile. So it makes it all the more frustrating for him when he can't do simple things that he used to do on XP. That's why we tried to get him back up and running on XP but we can't get on the internet to set up his email and get some of his programs up and running that require a website connection.

Thanks for the information. I know it seems ridiculous to go backward when everything should be going forward but when you are 84 yrs old, it's difficult to comprehend what should be very simple and is for most folks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

Firstly, I would not recommend XP because of the security risk. That being said, what is the model number of the Dlink adapter. Is should be labeled on the adapter itself. 

If you right click My Computer in XP is it up to SP3?

#7 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

Aaron: He is trying to write a book about the Berlin Airlift and he keeps saving his work under new names all the time so I have to go in and cancel stuff out and help him get back up to snuff.

Advertise on Craigslist for a Graduate Student to help ghost write the story with/for him.  With impending Alzheimers I would not tolerate any unnecessary delays as the information could be lost forever.  At minimum find someone to record his oral history so that someone in the future can transcribe his experiences to book form.  The potential lost of this history is more important than any computer issues you might be experiencing atm.

Even recording several hours of video interview and uploading to YouTube in fact as I think about it "writing a book" is old technology that may at some point in the future become obsolete.  In 20 years, it's entirely possible that less than 10% of the population even reads books as their primary source of learning.

Even if that is not true, YouTube videos are infinitely more accessible to the most number of people and they capture people at the moment they want to know. I am a very good example of who your husband's "target audience" might be.

Example, I am watching a movie having to do with post WWII and they mention something about the "Berlin Airlift".  I immediately hit "pause" of my downloaded movie, navigate my browser to YouTube and run a search of "Berlin Airlift" and among all the Youtube search results, your husbands recorded experiences are available to watch, so I do.  Right information in the right format at the right place at the very moment I am interested in watching it, vs. a sterile physical book someone has to pay for and keep around forever, both before and after reading it.

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 06 June 2017 - 02:03 PM.

#8 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

JohnC: Yes, I am aware of the XP vulnerability but he only has a  40gig hard drive. Not sure how much memory Win 8 takes up. It was the only hard drive I had that had the IDE connections. I ordered an 80 gig HD but when it came, I couldn't get it connected. Bought an adapter but that didn't help either because it doesn't connect to the motherboard.  It was a Sata. and we are IDE.

We are on Service Pack 2. Can't do Ver 3 until we can get online.

The D-Link model no. is DWA-140......H/W Ver: B2 F/W Ver.: 1.60

Thanks JC

Aaron: Not too many students are willing to sit and listen and record interviews with an 84 yr old man. He is still pretty sharp mentally. He just has trouble remembering short term as do I. Both of us are on 600mg Gabapentin which dulls the senses, making it hard to recall a word you are looking for which is frustrating.

His book is about a love story between a pilot and lovely German girl during in the Berlin Airlift. That's just the locale and some historical details such as planes landing every 3 minutes 24 hours a day, never stopping. The German people were there helping to unload the food and supplies. There are a couple of other books written that are non-fiction so Art didn't think it was necessary to duplicate all those facts in his book. His book is just a look at the history while telling the love story between the two characters. Not sure how he could dictate to a student or anybody other than someone with shorthand to type it up. He's already written 5 other ebooks, one telling his experiences being on the crew with a 2 star general. It is called The General And Me and is on Kindle and Nook, Ipad etc.

I kind of doubt he will ever complete it because he keeps getting sidetracked. But it keeps him busy and occupied during the day.

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions. I will see what I can find along those lines that he might agree to do.

His computer is his lifeline to the world and keeps him in touch with a friend on the same crew who also flew with the general.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,649 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:52 AM

You can download the standalone SP3 on another computer and copy to a flash drive. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc507836.aspx

Here is your driver for the USB dongle. Download on another computer and unzip the file to a folder. Copy the unzipped folder to a USB flash drive. Copy the folder from the flash drive to the desktop of the XP computer and double click setup.exe.

ftp://ftp2.dlink.com/PRODUCTS/DWA-140/REVB/DWA-140_REVB_DRIVERS_2.06.B02_WIN.ZIP

#10 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:17 PM

Aaron: Not too many students are willing to sit and listen and record interviews with an 84 yr old man. He is still pretty sharp mentally. He just has trouble remembering short term as do I. Both of us are on 600mg Gabapentin which dulls the senses, making it hard to recall a word you are looking for which is frustrating.

I think you misunderestimate the size of the "known universe" and are walking around with a 1970's era "world view", vs. a 2017 world view.

The world is freaking HUGE now.  It's a massive ocean, filled with an infinite number of people and each of them are completely different and despite that, they still manage to find other people of similar disposition and they form online communities.  This forum is one such example of what's possible due to the advent of the internet.  In the old, physical universe, people's ability to "advertise", communicate with each other, connect, form communities was limited to whatever they could do with shoe leather, driving a car, or paying for an ad in the local newspaper.  In contrast, today physical newspapers are going out of business.

I challenge your belief that there does not exist a person, or persons, that would be glad to spend whatever time in order to record the history your husband has.  In short, I think you are wrong, which is actually good news.  I threw the "craigslist" suggestion out there as a "top of my head" and more or less flippant statement, but as I think of it I think you have a LOT more options than that.  There must exist dozens of places online, communities aka "forums" or even YouTube channels where people with an interest in history gather together.  I find youtube videos all the time of WWII vets from specific military units telling their stories, their "narrow slice of american history", etc...  and not only are the story tellers online and telling their stories, but they have large audiences of people who are interested in hearing them.

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 07 June 2017 - 12:19 PM.

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

One of the problems that you will encounter with going back to XP is the version of Internet Explorer.

Service pack 2 uses Internet Explorer 6 which is quite antiquated and most web sites no longer support it.

Install the drivers for your DLink USB dongle from the link that JohnC provided.

Download and install XP Service Pack 3 as your next step

Then install all remaining Windows updates. There will probably be an additional 120 or so. I would go to your Windows Update settings and change the setting to "download updates for me but let me chose when to install them." The reason for this is that www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com may not work anymore. You will know when all XP updates are complete when you get the end of support notification.

Finally, and possibly most importantly, no web browser will work correctly with XP except Mozilla FireFox, FireFox has announced "end of support" for XP this September.

The last version of Internet Explorer that works with XP is version 8. Google Chrome has also pulled support for XP. If you are using either of these web pages will yield "your browser is not supported, update your browser" or something to that extent. FireFox will not yield that error but again support is being pulled in September.

Good luck!

In the beginning there was the command line.

#12 Astrovel

Astrovel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

OK guys!

My husband has agreed to come into the 21st century and go back to a negotiable Windows version. He has agreed to move up to Win 8.0 So now my problem is how do I do that?  Can I get a new upgrade for free from Windows or am I going to have to buy a CD of the Win 8 operating system?

I haven't been able to get anything to work on XP. None of the browsers will work as several of you have pointed out to me so I couldn't install the anti virus. The Dlink adapter allows us to connect just to get emails but no browsing the internet.

What's the best way to go to Win 8 from here?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,411 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:11 PM

You need to ask that question...and others about Win 8...at BC Win 8 Forum.  Our focus in this forum is XP.

Louis

#14 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,316 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:40 PM

OK, I'm going to add the following against my better judgment, and because a significant portion of my client base is senior citizens:

There is no way that someone who is really comfortable with Windows XP is going to be more comfortable with Windows 8 or 8.1 than they would be with Windows 7.

Windows 8 was a tectonic shift in the user interface that Windows users have known since Windows began.  Windows 7 was a fairly straightforward extension of all that's gone before it.

You are only going to get the maximally "alien" environment going from XP to 8.  I would either go back to 7 or go straight to 10, which has more of a number of "look and feel" features from Windows up to Windows 7 wedded with what were the good features that users liked from Windows 8/8.1.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users