Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not power on after being in luggage!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BxBShingo

BxBShingo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

So I took a trip, I had my laptop in a protective soft shell case. It was transported in my car, not in a plane or carry on. The luggage may have had one ding, but after taking it home and powering it on, I get a green power light, an indicator that the AC is powered on, but nothing on the screen and no fan.

The only way to turn off the green power light is to remove the battery. The power button does not work.

It is a Sony 2009 vaio laptop. Don't have the specs or model number in front of me. Does anyone know what I can do? I need the hard drive with all of the original settings. This laptop is my life and have had it in pristine condition for 8 years. :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

Disconnect the battery and hold the power-button down for 30 seconds. Plug it in and see if it boots. If no joy; prplly the heat produced form improper storage has killed a PCB, HDD or other?

#3 BxBShingo

BxBShingo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

That resolved it, thank you!!

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

Good news. :)

#5 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:55 PM

I need the hard drive with all of the original settings. This laptop is my life and have had it in pristine condition for 8 years. :(

One needs to do a complete image/clone of the internal hard drive as 8 years of happy use is telling me that it is time to figure out how to move this data to a new storage device or lose it. Sorry I missed all this in your first posed (or just focused on the problem being posted about). That drive is past its life expectancy, IMO. Could be in perfect condition (one would need to diagnose the device to provide a valid opinion). There are certain makes/models of devices I trust to last longer than others (they usually cost more) and a VAIO is not one of them: Too flimsy and delicate for me. One can put that dear data into a brand new device with a little research (maybe more than a little). I will tell you from multiple experiences it is possible and a valid option.

Anyway... they are not that hard to take apart to clean fans, heatsink/thermal compound and/or pads and the grill area of dust and grime. One says it is in pristine condition: Do not know if one meant hardware and software or just the storage device itself?

#6 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:15 PM

Is your battery failing?  Sometimes batteries do strange things and it seems to brick the laptop.  Removing the battery usually recovers the system means there is something wrong with the battery.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:09 PM

This is actually a pretty common laptop issue.  There is just enough power in the system to keep the laptop in a state that won't allow it to power up.  Removing all power from the laptop and holding down the start button drains the capacitors to resolve the issue.  I've seen it in Dell and HP systems also.

#8 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:58 PM

This is actually a pretty common laptop issue.... I've seen it in Dell and HP systems also.

Add Asus and the rest. I have a decent Asus with all my favoritest games on it and it plays well when it works. lol Doesn't shut down sometimes and will not power on sometimes. I have it ripped apart so i can pull ram and/or battery and sometime in a certain order it will power on and I will play. I do this only in coldest winter sometimes. Crazy. Windows 7 only (well: XP on VMs) on all my machines (Thinkpads).

I would not buy a new laptop today. They are basically engineered to blow up within a year (just my opinion and maybe true?).

Here's a pic of my Asus gaming rig waiting for winter in my office...Notice RAM and batry disconnected for power up lol:

IMG_20170616_214750883_zps4u1ciq3j.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users