Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Imaging

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 8-bit

8-bit

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

When you image a drive does the image have to be uploaded to a drive with the exact specs of can it be copied to any drive as long as it has enough space??

Edited by hamluis, 05 June 2017 - 04:17 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

The image can be backed up to any drive, other than to the drive being backed up,that has enough free space. The drive should be formatted NTFS. The image is backed up to a USB external or other internal drive in real time. 

#3 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:26 PM

Thanks. And the image can installed on to any drive, as long as it has space?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

Yes. As I posted the drive should be formatted NTFS which normally all are.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

If you are talking about restoring an OS full image onto another hard-drive of another computer, then there might be driver problems.  If the thread is talking about an OS full image restore onto another computer, I'll let others who are wiser than I about licensing take it from here.  If data restoring -- restore away, all will go very smoothly!

Edited by RolandJS, 05 June 2017 - 07:35 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

If you are asking about storing the image file creates, then it definitely can be stored/saved to any drive that has space and that is connected at the time of imaging (except the backup source typically...and even if you can, it is not advisable). After the image is complete, you can then typically copy the image file to any drive, NAS, flash drive, online backup service, cloud service, etc you want as long as there is space. Once the imaging is complete, then the image file is just another file as far as the OS is concerned.

If you are asking about RESTORING from an image file to a new drive, then I believe most programs will allow you to restore a drive image to any drive as long as the drive has a capacity large enough for the contents of the image (i.e. if you originally imaged a 1 TB drive that was almost full, you will not be able to restore it to a 500 GB drive). There might be some programs that require you restore to the same size drive, but I kind of doubt it.

There are other potential issues with restoring from an image as RolandJS hinted at.

If you are dealing with a Windows boot drive (i.e. one with the OS on it) and if restoring to a new drive to be used with the same computer that the image was originally for, then you should have no issues. If, OTOH, you are restoring to an image of a boot drive for one computer to be used on the other computer, then you can potentially run into driver issues as well as licensing/activation issues for Windows. I will spare the details unless that is what you actually are wanting to do.

#7 8-bit

8-bit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

Appreciate the answers everyone, alot wiser now. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users