Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMD prompt popping up and disappearing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DiabeticPancake

DiabeticPancake

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:07 PM

First time ever going to a forum like this, so sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but..

every once in a while, a cmd prompt appears and then disappears suddenly. I know this has been a problem for others, but I'm not sure if I've really found a solution. 

http://i.imgur.com/n27MaWw.png

Checking here, I have this task that isn't in my schedule tasks, and I can't find any info online on it, so I was wondering, is this potentially a bad task or is it normal?

I can't seem to remove it, I guess because of it's owner account.

Also, I've run Adwcleaner which deleted one chrome extension I think, but didn't stop the cmd prompts.

I thought about creating a schedule task that would run a removal command line as the system, but I'm not sure how to do that...

Any info would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moritz30

Moritz30

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

Please download Speccy from https://www.piriform.com/speccy , run it, publish your results and send us the link.
White Hat, Security Researcher, Modder, CEO at and founder of @DragonTeamMC, @OmniDragonBot and CryptID. Real name is Matthias Merkel.

#3 DiabeticPancake

DiabeticPancake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

Ive heard some things about speccy so I think I'd like to avoid it for now, I'm sure there's another way around this. Thanks though! Do you have any other ideas that could help?

#4 Moritz30

Moritz30

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:37 PM

Ive heard some things about speccy so I think I'd like to avoid it for now, I'm sure there's another way around this. Thanks though! Do you have any other ideas that could help?

Speccy would give us more info about services running on your PC and so.

Just out of interest: What have you heared about Speccy?

One idea I have: Do you have the latest Microsoft Office update installed? Office used to open a command prompt every hour.
White Hat, Security Researcher, Modder, CEO at and founder of @DragonTeamMC, @OmniDragonBot and CryptID. Real name is Matthias Merkel.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

I don't know just what you have heard about Speccy, but we use it here quite a bit.  If doesn't post any information which could be used for any kind of nefarious purposes. 

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 DiabeticPancake

DiabeticPancake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

Hey guys. So, it SEEMS to have stopped, I disabled some startup processes and restarted, and I haven't seen any cmd prompts since, which was a few hours ago now (I believe it would appear once every hour or so?).

http://i.imgur.com/hCcRW8x.png

here are my startup apps, and you can see which ones I have disabled. I don't know what the Program program is. 

I haven't been to any sketchy sites or been downloading anything recently, I should be alright since it seems to have stopped, right?

Also, from what I've heard, there are a lot of better programs than speccy and it tends to use a lot of cpu. Perhaps I'm just too nitpicky about some things.

#7 Moritz30

Moritz30

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

Hey guys. So, it SEEMS to have stopped, I disabled some startup processes and restarted, and I haven't seen any cmd prompts since, which was a few hours ago now (I believe it would appear once every hour or so?).

http://i.imgur.com/hCcRW8x.png

here are my startup apps, and you can see which ones I have disabled. I don't know what the Program program is. 

I haven't been to any sketchy sites or been downloading anything recently, I should be alright since it seems to have stopped, right?

Also, from what I've heard, there are a lot of better programs than speccy and it tends to use a lot of cpu. Perhaps I'm just too nitpicky about some things.

Just commenting on your last statements: Speccy shows everything we would have needed to identify the issue. It using a lot of CPU does not matter either as I don't think you have to do anything CPU intensive else while it runs ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users