Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to retrieve system.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nioniosk02

nioniosk02

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

Hello,ive been trying for weeks now how to save my system but all to no avail.
First im getting a BSOD (0xc000000f).I tried booting my pc with a live linux cd but it doesnt boot.I also selected cd-rom to be first booted.Then i created a bootable usb with windows 10 using media creation tool.I got an error which stated this: Invalid Partition Table. I don't know what to do and im desperate to save my system.Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

What linux distro did you try booting from? What is the make and model of the computer? If the computer is UEFI then you should disable SecureBoot in UEFI settings. Depending on the manufacturer you may need to set the supervisor password before the SecureBoot setting can be disabled.

You can also pull the drive and attach it to another computer using a USB adapter similar to this one. Because you get a partition table error you will need to scan the disk with a program called Testdisk. This program may allow you to recover your files. If you do not have another computer available testdisk is available on a linux boot disk called UBCD.

#3 nioniosk02

nioniosk02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

What linux distro did you try booting from? What is the make and model of the computer? If the computer is UEFI then you should disable SecureBoot in UEFI settings. Depending on the manufacturer you may need to set the supervisor password before the SecureBoot setting can be disabled.

You can also pull the drive and attach it to another computer using a USB adapter similar to this one. Because you get a partition table error you will need to scan the disk with a program called Testdisk. This program may allow you to recover your files. If you do not have another computer available testdisk is available on a linux boot disk called UBCD.

i tried booting from Linux Ubuntu.
My computer is prebuilt and given to me but i know the specs (intel core2 duo quad q6600,2gb ddr2 ram,intel gma 3000 graphics-integrated-and 220w psu)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,626 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

Is it possible to find the MB make and model. Pull the power plug, remove the side panel, and look on the MB for the make and model. See if you can boot a flash drive using Rufus and the iso of UBCD.

http://cdn.removed.us/ubcd/ubcd537.iso

Start Rufus and select MBR partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. Make sure your USB is in the first box. Leave all  boxes as checked. Where you see iso image in the dropdown box click the folder icon and browse to the location you downloaded UBCD. Press Start. Backup any data on the USB flash drive first as it will be formatted.

See if UBCD boots from the flash drive. The reason I asked for the MB make and model is there should be a key you tap at boot to give a boot menu to select your boot device.

#5 nioniosk02

nioniosk02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

So my mb is from gigabyte (GA-946GMX-S2). I will tell you more details tomorrow as i am in Europe right now and i have school and i have to take some exams.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,626 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:11 PM

Okay, from the manual it appears to be a normal legacy BIOS. Tap F12 at boot to select your boot device.

http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-946GMX-S2-rev-10#support-manual

#7 nioniosk02

nioniosk02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:27 AM

So i managed to write the iso on my usb stick (16gb) and it didnt boot.It just loaded the bsod (0xc000000f)

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,626 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

That indicates the computer is still trying to boot from the hard drive or the MB is at fault. Tapping F12 at boot with the flash drive attached does not give a boot device list? Check your boot priority in BIOS and make sure USB is first in the boot order. See page 37 of the manual. I would select USB-HDD as the first and USB-FDD and the second. It's possible the motherboard does not support booting form a USB flash drive. In that case you will need to boot form a CD.

Floppy, LS120, Hard Disk, CDROM, ZIP,
USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM, USB-HDD, LAN, Disabled.

You used Rufus, correct?

#9 nioniosk02

nioniosk02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:40 AM

That indicates the computer is still trying to boot from the hard drive or the MB is at fault. Tapping F12 at boot with the flash drive attached does not give a boot device list? Check your boot priority in BIOS and make sure USB is first in the boot order. See page 37 of the manual. I would select USB-HDD as the first and USB-FDD and the second. It's possible the motherboard does not support booting form a USB flash drive. In that case you will need to boot form a CD.

Floppy, LS120, Hard Disk, CDROM, ZIP,
USB-FDD, USB-ZIP, USB-CDROM, USB-HDD, LAN, Disabled.

You used Rufus, correct?

Yes i used rufus.
It does give me a boot device list when i press f12 but it boots from my hdd giving me the same error.
Booting with the order: 1.Usb-hdd 2.usb-fdd 3.usb-zip does nothing and gives me the same error. I will try booting from cd and i will tell you the results

#10 nioniosk02

nioniosk02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:06 PM

So i finally managed to boot into ubcd v5.3.7 with a usb.Now can you guide me through it?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,626 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:51 AM

Sorry I missed your post. At the UBCD boot menu select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic Desktop follow this guide on copying your data to an external drive.

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

#12 nioniosk02

nioniosk02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:07 AM

Sorry I missed your post. At the UBCD boot menu select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic Desktop follow this guide on copying your data to an external drive.

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

Thank you very much,you helped a lot!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,626 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:59 AM

Your Welcome. Were you able to retrieve all your important data?

#14 nioniosk02

nioniosk02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:22 PM

Well,i wasn't.When i clicked on my hdd (while on parted magic) i couldn't see my files.All my important files have been backed up in a cloud storage so i guess ut doesn't matter anymore.Thank you very much,sir.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,626 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:30 PM

No problem. Having a backup is good. Not enough people do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users