Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Passwords

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DebMarieGreene

DebMarieGreene

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

Someone please recommend a software package that will keep track of my dozens of passwords.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 craigneuk68

craigneuk68

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

Enpass and its free

#3 Moritz30

Moritz30

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

I personally use 1Password. It's not free but includes cloud sync between devices and is worth it's money ;)

White Hat, Security Researcher, Modder, CEO at and founder of @DragonTeamMC, @OmniDragonBot and CryptID. Real name is Matthias Merkel.

#4 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

I just use a Pages document that I created to keep track of passwords; no extra software package. 

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

I personally use 1Password. It's not free but includes cloud sync between devices and is worth it's money ;)

1Password also offers a stand alone option if you don't want to have your passwords "in the cloud" or don't want to use their cloud service (you can use Dropbox, iCloud, or just your local network for syncing password from device to device) or don't want to pay for a subscription, but they are doing a darn good job of hiding the stand alone version which makes me wonder how much longer they will support.

I use the stand alone version myself for a number of reasons. I really like it and used to fully recommend it, but I am starting to consider other options if they are not going to fully support the stand alone version and continue to push their subscription cloud method or even only go to the subscription cloud method. While I am sure that many people like the new cloud based subscription model, I DO NOT and I do not want to use it. So, if they no longer actively support the stand alone versions, then I will find something else.

#6 Moritz30

Moritz30

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:56 PM

1Password also offers a stand alone option if you don't want to have your passwords "in the cloud" or don't want to use their cloud service (you can use Dropbox, iCloud, or just your local network for syncing password from device to device) or don't want to pay for a subscription, but they are doing a darn good job of hiding the stand alone version which makes me wonder how much longer they will support.I use the stand alone version myself for a number of reasons. I really like it and used to fully recommend it, but I am starting to consider other options if they are not going to fully support the stand alone version and continue to push their subscription cloud method or even only go to the subscription cloud method. While I am sure that many people like the new cloud based subscription model, I DO NOT and I do not want to use it. So, if they no longer actively support the stand alone versions, then I will find something else.

I know about the standalone one but AFAIK it's no longer supported (is it even downloadable via their website anymore?)
White Hat, Security Researcher, Modder, CEO at and founder of @DragonTeamMC, @OmniDragonBot and CryptID. Real name is Matthias Merkel.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

1Password also offers a stand alone option if you don't want to have your passwords "in the cloud" or don't want to use their cloud service (you can use Dropbox, iCloud, or just your local network for syncing password from device to device) or don't want to pay for a subscription, but they are doing a darn good job of hiding the stand alone version which makes me wonder how much longer they will support.I use the stand alone version myself for a number of reasons. I really like it and used to fully recommend it, but I am starting to consider other options if they are not going to fully support the stand alone version and continue to push their subscription cloud method or even only go to the subscription cloud method. While I am sure that many people like the new cloud based subscription model, I DO NOT and I do not want to use it. So, if they no longer actively support the stand alone versions, then I will find something else.

I know about the standalone one but AFAIK it's no longer supported (is it even downloadable via their website anymore?)

I am kind of having that discussion with an AgileBits support person (who behaving more like a sales person pushing me toward the cloud subscription service and it is starting to piss me off) right now. It is supposedly still supported and you can still purchase it, but you need to know that it is an option and directly contact them to purchase the stand alone license since they no longer list it on the website for purchase. And you likely should be prepared for them to try and push the subscription model on you...that is what is currently happening with me who is ALREADY a loyal customer who has paid for the stand alone license on macOS, Windows and iOS and paid for upgrades, so I am not actually trying to just buy the stand alone license.

You can still download the stand alone version. On the Mac, the same version that works with the subscription service I believe will work as the stand alone version, but I cannot confirm this as I already have it installed (and have so for years). For the Windows version, the most current version WILL NOT work with a stand alone license. You have to download version 4. I know because I just setup 1Password on a new Windows build and did not see the note to download version 4 at first and downloaded version 6, which only offered the subscription option. I then saw the note to download version 4 for the stand alone license. For iOS, you would have to do the in-app purchase of the "Pro features" to use get all the features in stand alone mode. I don't use the Android version, so I have no clue on that.

What is NOT clear is how dedicated they really are to keep supporting the stand alone license option. According to the sales, oops, support person I am talking to, they will offer at least bug and security updates to iOS and macOS versions. It is not clear if that will also be true of the Windows stand alone version. And it is not clear at all how long that may or may not continue to be. I only get "I cannot say what the future holds" type response from the sales, er, support person. I did copy the founder of AgileBits on one of my messages in the hope of getting something more definitive, but I have not heard anything back from him yet.

End result is that technically the stand alone option is not dead, but the fact that they are making it really hard to find, are pushing REALLY hard the subscription model even on existing, loyal users who have repeatedly said they are happy with the "old way", and the lack of public commitment to the stand alone option tend to suggest that the writing is on the wall but that they just don't want to admit it. Thus, personally, I can no longer whole heartedly recommend it. Best I can say is that I have not abandoned 1Password yet as it is still a good program and does what I want it to do...for now. They will lose me if they stop supporting the stand alone option and make the subscription cloud option the only option.

#8 RuddyDuck2017

RuddyDuck2017

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:43 AM

I have used OnePass for several years now.  I like it very much: many features, great security.  I learned about it on the SecurityNow! podcast.

(I also use, and recommend, the Startmail e-mail service from the same folks.)

Edited by RuddyDuck2017, 29 June 2017 - 03:44 AM.

#9 RuddyDuck2017

RuddyDuck2017

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:26 AM

Oops, I should have written "LastPass" in the above post rather than "OnePass."  Thae basic version, "LastPass Free" is free to use, but you get added features with "LastPass Premium" which is still very reasonably priced. See https://www.lastpass.com to read all about it.

Edited by RuddyDuck2017, 12 January 2018 - 06:26 AM.

#10 Genex17

Genex17

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

post deleted

Edited by Genex17, 12 January 2018 - 02:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users