Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade to Intel i5 4core 3.2GHz

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MoonPower

MoonPower

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:59 AM

I have a Gateway pc model DX 4870 UB17. The motherboard is made by Acer and I was hoping I could swap out my 2-core i3 3.3GHz Intel for an Intel 4 core i5 3.2GHz. Would it work? Would it be stable? I hope it works because I already ordered it. Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Planemaster2

Planemaster2

• Members
  • 362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:09 AM

Was it this i5? https://ark.intel.com/products/68316/Intel-Core-i5-3470-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

#3 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:26 AM

Yes, I believe that was it. Intel core i5 3470 3.2 GHz. Socket 1155. Had some great ratings.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

Well hope it works, mind you some computer manufacturors really crimp down on hardware sometimes even crippling the CPU even if it is the same socket.

Some even sodder the CPU to the socket to enforce buying brand new machines, or mod the bios in some way.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:25 PM

Well hope it works, mind you some computer manufacturors really crimp down on hardware sometimes even crippling the CPU even if it is the same socket.

Some even sodder the CPU to the socket to enforce buying brand new machines, or mod the bios in some way.

This computer is socket LGA so i can guarantee it isn't soldered.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users