Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older versions of AVG don't install - AVG installs ''AVG Zen''

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saska01

Saska01

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:31 AM

For many years,i've used the AVG Anti-virus Free version - until June 2nd 2017. I used it along with Malwarebytes ''Anti-malware free'' & MS ''Security Essentials'' which is part of the Win.7 package without a single problem.

On June 2nd,i got an unwanted up-date to AVG - it automatically replaced the old version (version not known) with a new version - ''Zen''.

Having installed itself, AVG Zen then told me that as i was running 'Security Essentials' (SE) AVG was incompatible with it, & asked me to un-install SE, which i've no intention of doing.

I looked for another Free anti-virus & settled on 'Avast' - i downloaded & installed it - so far ,so good !. I ran a scan - no problems . I ran a scan to discover system problems & was told the i was vulnerable to the 'Wannacry' ransomware virus so i should download & install MS security patch

KB4012212 as protection. However - Avast also told me that it was incompatible with SE & that i should un-install SE ???.

What would be the point of installing the security  patch into SE & then un-installing it ?. That's complete nonsense,so I've un-installed Avast.

There's a listing of older versions of AVG Free which are 'supposedly' still available for download - NOT !!. I've downloaded the install app.for several of them,installed them & without exception, AVG installs AVG 'Zen' .http://avg_antivirus_free.en.downloadastro.com/old_versions/

It seems as though AVG are 'doing a Microsoft' & forcing an un-wanted version of their anti-virus onto our PC's.

Is there an old version of AVG Free that will install & where do i find it ?. Is there an ''attachment'' function on here ie.the usual ''paper clip'' ?. It seems that the link to the old versions of AVG web page (above) don't work within Bleeping Computer either.

'Links don't work'' / no attachment function'' ???. Pretty frustrating IMHO.  BC tells me that the webpage to which i've posted a link ''doesn't exist'' - i can assure you that it does !. Highlight the link,open a new search bar 'paste & go' & you'll find it.

Edited by Saska01, 05 June 2017 - 06:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

avg....avast....microsoft security essentials/windows defender

pick ONE and only ONE and use it

having multiple security programs running is not good.....you have already been told that by both AVG and avast.....listen to them

if it were up to me i would choose AVG or avast

Edited by mikey11, 05 June 2017 - 06:48 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:34 AM

Read the IMPORTANT NOTE about not using more than one anti-virus program in this topic...it reiterates what mikey11 said. In addition to potential conflicts, I explain in more detail why most security vendors advise against doing this except for Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Also see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:48 AM

From mikey11 - "having multiple security programs running is not good.....you have already been told that by both AVG and avast.....listen to them".   Whilst that seems to be 'popular opinion',i've used AVG / Spybot S & D / Malwarebytes & MS Security Essentials TOGETHER with NO PROBLEMS at all for over 5 years.

I un-installed Spybot having decided that Security Essentials did much the same job,but kept the others. It's only since AVG forced their 'Zen' up-date on me a couple of days ago that i've had any problems. Malwarebytes & SE still  get on very well together.

The question remains :- Why would Avast advise me to download & install MS Security Patch KB4012212 & then advise me that Avast was incompatible with MS SE & to un-install it ??. What sense does that make ??. A bit of twisted logic in there somewhere !!.

Withe regard to the popular opinion of not having more than one Anti - 'whatever' - ever since i've had a PC - 15 years,i've NEVER only used one  Anti-'whatever',i've used at least  2,mainly AVG & Spybot. Win.7 came with SE built-in & i also installed Malwarebytes = 4. All 4 have worked perfectly well together for several years.  

Don't forget that the security software companies have a vested interest in us using only THEIR software,but if it's FREEWARE why ??.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:35 AM

Why would Avast advise me to download & install MS Security Patch KB4012212 & then advise me that Avast was incompatible with MS SE & to un-install it ?

KB4012212 is not specifically related to MSSE, it is the March 2017 Update rollup for all of Windows. Is your Windows 7 getting updates correctly?

Win.7 came with SE built-in

Windows 7 does not come with MSSE built-in, Windows Defender is the built-in anti-malware application. That's not what we're talking about is it? You would have needed to download and install MSSE.

People do report using more than one real-time AV successfully, and have been fortunate enough to not experience any clashes, although others have had conflicts.

From my point of view, I suspect one of the main concerns is that two real-time AVs cannot both have control of the lowest level system hooks (code entry points) that are necessary to the successful operation of an AV. It's possible that MSSE, being from Microsoft, can claim the lowest level entry to the system. If that's so, being what could be regarded as the "weaker" AV (Microsoft define SE as providing "baseline" protection), SE may be able to be compromised at a lower system level than the "stronger" AV, creating weaker protection than the more capable AV alone if it claimed the lower level hooks.

An AV may be complaining about the likelihood of that happening with another AV installed.

Edited by Platypus, 06 June 2017 - 05:40 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:06 AM

Hi Platypus - Many thanks for your well considered advice. I realised yesterday,that the friend of mine who built my PC for me,had already installed MSSE for me when i received it - my mistake & apologies !. I manually up-date MSSE each day - it's the first thing i do,up-date my security. I did have to install the GWX Control Panel,as Win.10 was recently still trying to download onto my PC as i posted in the appropriate thread on here. I must admit that i've not up-dated Windows very much at all because of the Win.10 problem. Without exception,every time i've decided to allow a Windows up-date for 'whatever' - the message appears ''Windows 10 is downloading to you computer'' - that's more than a bit off-putting. As i posted in the thread re.''Win.10 unwanted downloads'',the message still appears despite the GWX Control deing installed on my PC !!. So - is Win.10 by-passing the GWX Control panel,or is it a false message ???.

Right now,i have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & MSSE installed. They work ok together so,i'll leave things as they are,

Many thanks once again :thumbup2:

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:00 AM

You're welcome! I've successfully used Never10 to block Win10 upgrades:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Not having security updates current is making an AV's job a bit harder too!
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users