Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Vs Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TexasJustice

TexasJustice

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:44 PM

Me again.  :)  (I started a new topic thread as this is a new problem.  Hope that is the right thing to do.)

So lately if I try to play a game on this system in question, or even once when watching a video, the monitor might blank out, even though my system was still running.  I took a look at the video card and noticed that the fan wasn't running.  I pulled the card and the fan was all gunked up.  Super gunked up.  I cleaned it and tried it out, and then pulled it again and took the spinner part of the fan off and I don't think this fan will ever spin again.  In fact I'm pretty certian that this fan hasn't spun in quite some time.  In fact, this fan may not have been spinning in years for all I know.  I honestly have no clue on this, because it there was so much filth in it.  The card is of course quite hot to the touch when you take it out.

Anyway, I need a new cheap card that has HDMI as I use a TV as a monitor.  HDMI is a must for me.

Here is my question.  Will this system's power supply support a 1gb card?  I'm currently using a 512mb card.  I know its not a big increase, but this system originally only came with a 1.8ghz CPU, 1GB memory, 1 HD, internal DVD, and no video card, all running on 250 watts.

Here is what I have now in the system.

250watt power supply (Native to the system):
2x2gb ram
3.06GHZ CPU
2 5400 hard drives
mouse/keyboard
512mb video card (GeForce 210)
external USB DVD Burner

Updating the power supply is not really an option.  I'm not looking to put any more money into this low rent system.  I'm not happy about buying a used video card on eBay.  But if I have to, then maybe I should buy a 1gb card, the max it will take, but only if my system's power supply can take it. (I'm not sure why I think it will only take up to a 1GB video card, but for some reason, I think that is true?  Could be wrong on this.)

Any thoughts on which size card I can go with?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/Compaq-Presario-SR5000-Desktop-PC-series/3686675/model/3686676/document/c01374067/

Also, feel free to recommend some cheap video cards that will work on this system.  I'm open to suggestions.  Right now I'm just looking at the exact same type of card on eBay. (GeForce 210)  I'm definitly looking to go $15.00 or less, shipping included in that price.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:38 PM

The amount of memory has no real impact on the power consumption of a video card.  The speed of the card and memory can have an effect, but I doubt there are many factory overclocked GT 210's out there so I wouldn't worry about this.  The model of GPU is the important thing really.  The still available GT 210 has a maximum power draw of 30.5 watts.  The GT 710 is a little more modern and is passively cooled typically (no fan) and draws less power (19w). Not sure if you'll get one for $15 though.  The Radeon HD 5450 or 6450 sometimes come up cheaply, have a similar power draw to your existing card, and would no doubt do a similar job.

This GPU database is quite useful for looking up any you find - https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/ 

Edited by jonuk76, 04 June 2017 - 11:44 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:53 PM

yes, the thing with the nvidia 210, if you have it signaling in to more than one monitor, it "turbos" into the highest clock speed, hence the burned out fan..and the overheating (black out)

as mentioned above, you have low-power options, i would suggest AMD though (5450, 6450 etc.) , they have been much more adaptable to multiple outputs than nvidia has in the past, hopefully, the nvidia line-up got better at handling multiple displays without shifting into turbo, but i haven't seen it personally.  my gtx 460 has 4 speeds thank goodness, and only shifts into second (an elevated 2d mode) when signaling out to multiple displays

i would buy the half-height variety. so it can be installed into a slim profile PC later if need be, it is nice to have that option

the ones i am looking at have the dvi-d though...that kind of limits your dvi choices to a monitor with the dvi-d input and the dvi-d cable

this one 6450 is fanless...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sapphire-100322L-Radeon-HD-6450-Graphic-Card-625-MHz-Core-1-GB-DDR3-SDRAM-PCI-Express-2.0-x16-1334-MHz-Memory-Clock-2560-x-1600-Passive-Co/45082533

and here s a 710 model, can't really see the outputs. it can drive 3 signals out simultaneously, i read

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PNY-GeForce-GT-710-1GB-VERTO-Graphic-Card-VCGGT710XPB/199098342

Edited by synergy513, 05 June 2017 - 12:05 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 TexasJustice

TexasJustice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:12 AM

I appreciate the suggestions, but I'm really looking to buy something used off of ebay at a cheap price.  I really don't want to stick any real money into this system.  I'm on vacation with it right now, but when I get home in about five weeks, I have better systems to work with and upgrade, so I'm really just trying to make this as functional as I can, for about $15.00 or less.  I know I can get what I have of course in that price range on ebay, so that I at least an option for me.

Let me ask you this, as I really don't know a lot about video cards, is there a huge difference between them when it comes to power consumption.  I mean could one card that is 1gb draw a small amount of power, and another card that is 1gb draw a huge amount of power?  I guess coming into this post I kind of thought that all cards of equal size were created equal in power consumption, but maybe not.  Do fan-less ones consume far less power?

Also, I did price out a DVI to HDMI cable on ebay from a North American seller.  Just 3.59 for a 6 ft cable.  Is that just as good as HDMI to HDMI?  If it is, then that of course opens up lots more options for me.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:22 AM

no the amount of vram isn't related to power consumption...my 460 1gb sucks 150 watts peak, while my 5550 1gb pulls a paltry 30 watts. but nowadays, if a card is 1gb, chances are relatively great it is a low watt variety

I haven't used a dvi to hdmi cable, but they are digital signals, so i can see a relationship, but hdmi has different specs, if the specs don't match up (i.e. connector, cable, and ports), the results are demonstrably frustrating..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

about a third of the way down the page, the dvi to hdmi is explained pretty well

Edited by synergy513, 05 June 2017 - 12:35 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 TexasJustice

TexasJustice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:00 AM

I found this which suggest that my current video card only uses 16.7 watts of power.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20100226/the-real-power-consumption-of-73-graphics-cards/

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

DVI is of course video only while HDMI also carries sound, which might be a consideration.

16.7 watts isn't very much. The 30.5 figure is a maximum draw suggested by Nvidia's specs.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:42 AM

Indeed, just be cautious on ebay though.

If brand new though you would not be be paying that much higher however, I understand that saving money is important buy ebay can be dodgy.

I mean there is this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130606

and or that PNY unit that synergy513 suggested.

I personally feel ebay is too full of scammers to trust, you would be tossing your money out the window and possibly receiving a box filled with cockroaches or something

Edited by MadmanRB, 07 June 2017 - 08:42 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users