Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I make sure, that image and video files are safe?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sunbread1

Sunbread1

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:21 PM

I have lots of files in my cameras memory card, I had this camera plugged in pc when i most likely had somekind of spyware. Now, what measures can I take to make sure that these files are not infected? Virustotal has 128mb limit, and many of my videos are alot bigger than that. Also i dont wanna just plug in that camera to my new pc, in case the files are infected or memory cards free space has viruses, so I need a safe way to bring these files in. I was thinking of finding other pc with different OS, plug camera in and then move the files i need in to a USB stick in compressed format and then plug that usb to my main PC, then scan those compressed files with antivirus programs before unpacking them.

The image files are in .ord file format, which i think is the "raw" version, some are jpgs too. Videofiles i cant remember what format they are. Has there been any viruses in the wild, that could infect these kind of files and then able to infect other computers?

These pictures and videos are very important for me, i cant just give up on them.

Edited by Sunbread1, 04 June 2017 - 10:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:51 PM

If you are using windows :

Enable Hidden system files.Enable extensions of known files to be visible. Check for any suspicious files

Here's how: http://www.pcworld.com/article/241051/how_to_view_hidden_files_and_file_extensions_in_windows.html

Scan with any Internet Security fully updated (I prefer KasperskyIS/KasperskyTS) Also you can scan with Avast (fully updated again).

Edited by Hareen, 04 June 2017 - 11:53 PM.

#3 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:22 AM

I have been using avast and malwarebytes for a long time. Now i have heard avast is not so good. Can i use eset nod32 alongside malwarebytes? What about emsisoft anti virus?

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:44 AM

Avast is fine { I use and have no issues } and malwarebytes / these two would be suffcient.

Or Eset Online - One Time Scan if you wish.

Edited by Havachat, 05 June 2017 - 12:44 AM.

#5 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:41 AM

Avast is fine with too many false positives. As you are looking for a clean files without any chance of anything I suggested avast.

Anything will be fine.

#6 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:32 AM

Quietman7 doesnt recommend avast ive read. I dont really know anything about these though.

#7 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:37 AM

Even I don't recommend Avast for a stand alone security agent.

I am just suggesting usage of Avast for a single time cleaning of the files. Just to be so sure for the cleaning of files.

#8 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:50 AM

I cant install multiple antivirus softwares that take role of main antivirus, since installing avast for an example requires uninstalling nod32 etc. Pc without antivirus in between installations is at great risk of infection. Its not like i can disconnect from internet during having no antivirus, because all av installers require internet.

Edited by Sunbread1, 05 June 2017 - 06:59 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:15 AM

All anti-virus installers do not require an internet connection.

Most anti-virus vendors offer two installer packages....online and offline. The online version is typically much smaller and is used to download and install directly from the vendor's site. The offline installer is a full setup, much larger file size and does not require Internet connection until it is time to update.

If you have not done so already, you may want to read:

As for avast! Antivirus...it has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.

Further, avast! pushes a support package for $180 offered by a third party which prefers to take remote control of your computer in order to fix problems.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

I need to decide do i choose nod32 or emsisoft antimalware. But i dont know which.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,475 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

Both ESET and EAM are excellent choices. Which one to choose is more a matter of personal preference.

See my comments at the bottom of Choosing an Anti-Virus Program as to why I recommend ESET and Emsisoft.

#12 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:34 AM

Yeah, but honestly i dont know enough to make informed decision. To me, the descriptions of each software sound like they both are doing exact same things.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,475 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:40 AM

Most do the same but choice.is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

#14 Sunbread1

Sunbread1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

I understand that, but i dont really know whats "best for me". I just want to be secure from attacks and able to clean if something gets through. I use Windows 10 if that maked difference.

I dont care about resource usage as long as it works, if it means its more effective.

Zero day protection is one important thing too.

Edited by Sunbread1, 05 June 2017 - 09:17 AM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,475 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits and it's probably easier to use for the novice. If you have Windows 10 Anniversary update, it includes Limited Periodic Scanning and allows you to also use a third party anti-virus program as your primary protection.You could use Windows 10 Anniversary with ESET or Emsisoft. If it were my system, I would choose Emsisoft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users