Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old PC Maintence Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

Although I am using the new PC I built full time now, I'd like to keep my old one working just in case. Is it enough to re-hookup, update & scan my old currently offline PC once a month or should it be once a week?

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:55 PM

If it is not connected to internet perhaps once a will be good enough. 

Better have CCleaner and an Anti Virus Running on it.

Avast Provides you with offline install-able updates. If you find any other anti virus offering offline updates just let me know though.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:06 AM

Although I am using the new PC I built full time now, I'd like to keep my old one working just in case. Is it enough to re-hookup, update & scan my old currently offline PC once a month or should it be once a week?

Assuming the computer is going to still be connected to the Internet, you are probably fine with once a month or even long as long as the first thing you do when you fire up the computer is to run Windows Update and also update your anti-virus definitions before you start doing things like browsing the Internet or checking email.

I have my old Windows desktop that had been largely unused for a year or more due to a couple of moves. When I finally did fire it up, I ran Windows Update and updated the antivirus and everything seems to be fine.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:14 AM

I go for weeks without firing up my alternate desktop...as a matter of routine, I then update, scan with my defense programs, and then do whatever it was that I intended to do on that system.  I don't employ chronological schedules to determine updating or scanning of either system.

Louis

#5 Mike_Soda

Mike_Soda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

If it is not connected to internet perhaps once a will be good enough. 

Better have CCleaner and an Anti Virus Running on it.

Avast Provides you with offline install-able updates. If you find any other anti virus offering offline updates just let me know though.

Assuming the computer is going to still be connected to the Internet, you are probably fine with once a month or even long as long as the first thing you do when you fire up the computer is to run Windows Update and also update your anti-virus definitions before you start doing things like browsing the Internet or checking email.

I have my old Windows desktop that had been largely unused for a year or more due to a couple of moves. When I finally did fire it up, I ran Windows Update and updated the antivirus and everything seems to be fine.

I go for weeks without firing up my alternate desktop...as a matter of routine, I then update, scan with my defense programs, and then do whatever it was that I intended to do on that system.  I don't employ chronological schedules to determine updating or scanning of either system.

Louis

Thank you all, I'm going to do it once a month then or if i get time particularly on patch Tuesdays if Microsoft still does that for Windows 7.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.112) | MasterCase Pro 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users