Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

List of Windows 8 Tutorials at BleepingComputer.com

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 001dek

001dek

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:09 PM

How about a list of Windows 8.1 tutorials. All of the tutorials you have for Win 8 are not what they are in 8.1. In other words, I can't use the tutorials for 8.1. Help! The subjects for 8 are exactly what I need but I can't get to them because 8.1 is different.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

Hi 001dek,

Most Windows 8 tutorial instructions will apply to Windows 8.1. Can you show me an example of Windows 8 tutorial that doesn't work under Windows 8.1?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 001dek

001dek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

"START WINDOWS 8 IN SAFE MODE"

In win 8.1 I do not have and cannot find "advanced startup" in "settings". My settings are "PC Settings" which comprise  -

activate windows

pc and devices

accounts

onedrive

search and apps

privacy

network

time and language

ease of access

update and recovery

and at the very bottom of the page and separated from the above by several inches is "control panel"

under which of the above will I find "advance startup"?,

I only have about 4 minutes to locate and select after startup before the computer freezes and I have to shut it off and restart again.

I am moderately familiar with computer systems and have changed HD and reloaded an OS in the distant past. I have not maintained nor advanced in computer tech. My knowledge base, as limited as it was, ended iwith win XP. I am also at the stage in life where memory is fleeting and I have difficulty in recalling the exact nomenclature of parts and functions.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:40 PM

Okay yes I see what you mean.

From the "PC Settings" window, click on "Update and recovery" (which is the last tab at the bottom), then click on "Recovery" (once again, last tab at the bottom). From there you'll see "Advanced Startup" with the "Restart now" button.
juJgerC.png
a86IEWQ.png
I'll forward this thread to Grinler to see if he have time to adjust some tutorials for Windows 8.1.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 001dek

001dek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

When I got to the restart now in advance startup, It said I had 1 app (Norton) and wanted to know if I wanted to continue or cancel. Will norton affect my ability to run system restore?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:53 AM

It shouldn't, no.

unite_blue.png

#7 001dek

001dek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:11 PM

The computer operates very slowly as it cycles through startup and by the time I can get to advance startup and system restore, it's soooo slow that it really does nothing and continues slowing till it goes to sleep.I don't know if this is an os problem or something mechanical.

I just do not have enough time to initiate any type of a change that affects anything.

I have four minutes of use before it freezes.

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:50 AM

Try the following -

1. Run Disk Cleanup.

2. In an elevated (Run as Administrator) Command Prompt, type chkdsk /r  and press Enter.

3. In an elevated (Run as Administrator) Command Prompt, type sfc /SCANNOW  and press Enter.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

I'm not sure why you still are running Windows 8. That reached end of life months ago. Security Updates are no longer provided. I would consider backing up your personal data and doing a clean install using the Media Creation Tool as long as you have your licenses for any purchased programs.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3020744/windows/upgrade-now-microsoft-cuts-off-windows-8s-security-updates-on-january-12.html

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

I'm not sure why you still are running Windows 8. That reached end of life months ago. Security Updates are no longer provided. I would consider backing up your personal data and doing a clean install using the Media Creation Tool as long as you have your licenses for any purchased programs.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3020744/windows/upgrade-now-microsoft-cuts-off-windows-8s-security-updates-on-january-12.html

The OP stated -

In win 8.1 I do not have and cannot find "advanced startup" in "settings".

Windows 8.1 end of mainstream support is January 2018, and end of extended support January 2023.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

The OP stated -

In win 8.1 I do not have and cannot find "advanced startup" in "settings".

Windows 8.1 end of mainstream support is January 2018, and end of extended support January 2023.

Sorry, It was my impression that the OP was still running 8 and not 8.1. I really messed up on this one.  :oopsign:

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:01 PM

No worries...I missed one yesterday that was in all caps.

#13 001dek

001dek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

Try the following -

1. Run Disk Cleanup.

2. In an elevated (Run as Administrator) Command Prompt, type chkdsk /r  and press Enter.

3. In an elevated (Run as Administrator) Command Prompt, type sfc /SCANNOW  and press Enter.

What do you mean by "elevated"? And where do I type the command? Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try but I hope it can do the procedure in about two minutes (before it freezes up and depending on how long to get to where I type the command).

#14 001dek

001dek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:04 AM

Another thing, when I bought this computer, all I got was the box and a quick start guide(3-4 pages) and a Dell disk for drivers and utilities,  at which I've never looked. If I have to download a win8.1 os to reload, where do I find the key for my preloaded win 8? I can no longer find the receipt but I do have the shipping container. If I do get the downloadable win 8.1 from MS how do I install w/o the key? This is not like the old days when you got all sorts of docs and disks for everything loaded on the machine.

#15 001dek

001dek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2017 - 10:07 AM

As long as I'm asking, where and how do I replace some of the programs ie. Bing maps and weather and other programs that came preloaded?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users