Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best option for memory upgrade of a dell optiplex?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

Upgrading memory. I either need 4 gig sticks or 8 gig sticks. Anyone know the cheapest route to take? The computer is an optiplex 990 microtower. It has exactly this ram. The kingston equivalent to it is this according to their website. What is the cheapest option for upgrades? I would prefer either 2 4 gig sticks or 1 8 gig stick. Thanks! The specs of the computer are listed here: http://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/optiplex-990-spec-sheet.pdf (that should contain all of the needed information)

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 04 June 2017 - 09:10 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

bump, i think i've waited long enough to bump and i dont want to start another post.

ooh, i have a signature

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,795 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

Well ram prices themselves can vary, I have seen 4 gig sticks as low as $24.88 for your memory type.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226248&cm_re=4gb_1333mhz_ddr3-_-20-226-248-_-Product

you could just get two of these and call it a day.

Muskin makes pretty good ram normally

Here is a dual channel kit:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIA1K645J9824

$54.43 is not so bad and would be cheaper than the kingston

HOWEVER the issue is your PC needs non ECC memory and that is more expensive.

If your need non ECC the kingston is probably one of the cheaper options considering how much non ECC can be.

Edited by MadmanRB, 26 June 2017 - 02:21 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

16GB max RAM for system, 4 modules, 4x4 is what you need/want.

http://www.overclock.net/t/999903/komputerbay-ram

The route I would take:  https://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-1333Mhz-10600-10666-9-9-9-25/dp/B003OSYW1S/ref=sr_1_15?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1498504635&sr=1-15&keywords=1333MHz+DDR3+SDRAM%2C&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A677429011.

Louis

#5 AlexGA

AlexGA

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:34 AM

You might want to try Crucial and use their system scanner to see what they recommend - generally a bit cheaper than Kingston and quality is as good.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,508 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

I routinely recommend that anyone who's considering a change in system RAM use the Crucial System Scanner whether or not they intend to go with Crucial brand memory.

It has never steered me wrong as far as:

• what's currently installed in the computer, and in which slots
  • the maximum number of slots, including empty ones
  • the maximum amount of memory the system as a whole can accept
  • showing that maximum divided among those slots
  • giving accurate information regarding the type(s) of memory the system will accept

Mind you, if you "mix memory" the maximum speed is going to be that of your slowest module, as the system will compensate for that and the the modules capable of faster speeds will be slowed down to match the most restrictive speed.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users