Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS Server Settings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 centaur5910

centaur5910

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

I'd first like to say I am not a networking guru by any means but would like a question answered by someone who may be.

I've been playing around with my TCP/IPv4 Primary and Alternate DNS addresses to see if I could increase my download speed.  I'm not really worried about the upload speed since I don't upload much.  My ISP is Comcast and my contract speed is 100 Mbps.  I used two (2) tools, DNS Bench and DNS Jumper, to see which DNS addresses showed the best performance for my area.  I'm not sure why but I got different results between the two tools.  I also used speedtest.net and SpeakEasy to measure the performance as I changed the DNS addresses.  I used typical DNS server addresses from Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), and the top performing addresses from the DNS tools along with several others including ones from my ISP.  Typically I averaged around 80 Mbps.  Also as a side note, I use a NetGear Nighthawk X6 (R8000) router.  As I tested, I would change the DNS addresses on both my PC and router.  I don't think it's necessary to change it on the PC since the router is the last device in the line before going out and basically the PC DNS addresses are ignored.  I could be wrong here so please correct me if I am.

With that background info, I decided to see what would happen if I used my default gateway ip address as my primary DNS.  So let's say my default gateway address is 192.168.1.1.  I then set my primary DNS Server address the same as my default gateway address (192.168.1.1).  When I ran a speed test on the sites previously mentioned, to my surprise the download speed increased to above my ISP contract speed. I ran the tests several times averaging 114 Mbps.

Now for my question.  Do you see any issues with doing this?  Any risks, etc..?  If there is any info I left out that may be helpful in answerng my question, please let me know and I'll provide it.  Thanks in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

"I've been playing around with my TCP/IPv4 Primary and Alternate DNS addresses to see if I could increase my download speed"

Sorry to say but this is a waste of time.  Once dns has been checked the results are cached locally.  In other words dns's traffic is tiny winny compared to the total transport. 

It is quite common to point to the gateway for dns.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 04 June 2017 - 09:38 PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Are you using GRC's DNS Benchmark?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users