Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some help installing drivers for fresh install of 7 on new PC

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Daffypuck

Daffypuck

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:23 PM

I have an Inspiron One PC that I did a fresh install of Windows 7 on. I didnt want any of the factory software crap on it. I thought the drivers would automatically DL and install like my home builds I have, but they didnt. Could someone give me hand finding and installing the drivers. Im assuming its pretty easy, but Im not quite sure where to start. Thanks.

Edited by Daffypuck, 04 June 2017 - 05:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

Hi,

Please post the machine Service Tag.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

It is 3NCJSM1

I have the unit powered up and ready to go, but I cant internet access. I believe it has wireless as welll as a hardline access to the web. Im not certain if thats due to no network drivers being installed or what. Should I download drivers on another device to a thumb drive then install? Or try and gain access on the Inspiron to the web? Thanks

#4 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:16 PM

http://support.dell.com

#5 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

Bro, Ive done all of that. No luck. I downloaded the drivers for network onto a USB drive and then put them on Dell PC. That now is where Im stuck. The files unzipped and are in driver folders, but I cant seem to get them to install. There are no executable files in the folders.

First off, I have no internet access on the Dell, so the PC cant search for drivers. I downloaded the network driver from Dell using the above service tag and transferred it to the Dell. When I direct the PC to that folder to update network drivers, it says theres nothing there, blah, blah blah. If I can get the Dell to be able to access the interent, I think Ill be able to figure it out. 

Edited by Daffypuck, 04 June 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

In Device Manager there should be a yellow exclamation mark next to your network adapters. Right click each device. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line of each device into your next post.

Edit: Is this clean install Windows 7 SP1? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 June 2017 - 06:35 PM.

#7 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

Under the Network Controller: pci\ven_14e4&dev_4727&subsys_00101028&rev_01

" everything same within these quotes          "

" Same plus                     CC_028000

"Same                             CC_0280

Under Ethernet controller: pci\ven_10ec&dev_8168&subsys_04791028&rev_06

"  same as above minus the &REV_06 at the end"

"same except all after 8168 is &CC_020000"

"Same except all after CC_ is 0200"

Sorry, but I have no way to copy and paste to this PC. Hope you understand what Ive written.

This is a fresh install from my WIN 7 home premium disc I bought with a PC I had built. I just didnt want all of the crap Dell puts on their PCs. Im trying to get this Dell up and running as a kids home PC they can mess around on to play music, watch videos etc. Not sure if its SP1. Ill look around for the disc and get back to ya.

Edited by Daffypuck, 04 June 2017 - 07:01 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:02 PM

I am assuming this is 64bit. Right click Computer > Properties. Does it list the install as Service Pack 1 under Windows edition?

Edit: If your install is SP1 then the Ethernet Controller can be downloaded here.

Win7 and Server 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SharedID:1152921504607172441
SId:1152921504626566045)

7.107 2017/5/24 10585k

I will edit my post again when I find the Wifi driver. The Ethernet Driver should at least get you started.

Here is the Dell Wifi driver. Is this the one you downloaded?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=NMGJH

Install

1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop 
2.The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or unzip to "C:\DELL\DRIVERS\NMGJH". (Where 'NMGJH' is the name of the file to be downloaded). Write down this path so the executable (I.e.Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3. The Self-Extractor window appears.
4. Click OK.
5. After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor window is still open, close it.
6. Click Start button and then click Run.
7. Type "C:\DELL\DRIVERS\NMGJH" (where 'NMGJH" isthe name of the file) in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8. Follow the on-screen installation instructions.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 June 2017 - 07:10 PM.

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

Follow JohnC_21  method first to verify first.

Otherwise Both Network Files are here as .exe  { Download and Run }

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/3ncjsm1/drivers/advanced?DCP=DNDTAG

#10 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:13 PM

Yes, It is SP1 64 bit. That is the driver that I had downloaded and then transferred to the Dell into a driver folder. Funny thing is, there are already folders listed for other drivers. Audio, network,storage and video folders are listed under drivers main folder.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

The first driver I linked to, the Ethernet, was a Realtek link. You downloaded the Realtek driver for Ethernet?

#12 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:18 PM

OK, I did the "run" command and it just directed me to the driver location file and nothing more. No onscreen prompts or anything.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

Did you download and double click the EXE file for the Ethernet driver, not the Dell Wireless.

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=5&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168

#14 Daffypuck

Daffypuck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

I downloaded the 79mb file that you linked to from the Dell page. Thats what I downloaded earlier and unzipped, but couldnt figure out how to install. Im trying the EXE files right now.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,989 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

I linked to two files one was 79mb and the other was the Ethernet driver that is 10MB. Download the Realtek driver in my post 13. Copy to the desktop and double click. This will give you Ethernet. I am downloading the Wifi driver and will see if I can spit out the driver so you can install it from Device Manager.

Edit: Browse to the location where the Wifi driver was unzipped to. In folder is another  folder called DRIVER_US

Copy this driver to your desktop. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 June 2017 - 07:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users