Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limitations?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Selador

Selador

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

I bought a full copy of vista home premium.

Want I want to do with this is simply to install it on a computer that I want to never ever go online for any purpose.

The sole purpose of this computer is to play some games that can only be played on windows.

On the microsoft website it says that if I don't activate vista: "many features of Windows Vista will be disabled"

Does anyone know what those 'features' are? And whether I will still be able to use it it I don't allow it online to activate?

Plus, maybe this is a subject for another thread... But just how can I reliably disable vista from having any ability to go online? (I mean aside from never plugging in the computer. LOL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

You could always try activation by phone. This is normally a free call. You obviously have some means of going on line, just google for 'MS activation phone number + your country'.

If you never want this computer to go on line then, if it is a desktop, remove any installed wifi card or USB dongle. If it is a laptop there is normally a switch to disable your wifi. this switch may be a physical switch or it may be a software one on the keyboard, your manual will tell you.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

A one time connect to the Internet would fix the Activation.

Then you can Disable or Uninstall any Network Adapters to stop connections to Net.

Never had Vista myself but thought XP would be a better option for older games , maybe im wrong.

Initially after install i would gather up any available updates for the operating system to fix any issues that may arise later  eg: Blue Screeens / Other Fixes.

When you happy with your setup , take an Image of the Drive { To a External Drive } and your good to go for the future.

#4 Selador

Selador
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

Thank you.

I intend to dual boot this computer with linux. So, I don't want to disable the computer itself. I just want to disable vista from being able to get online.

Also, I don't care about activation, as long as I don't lose anything vital to playing the games. That's why I asked if anyone knows what "features" would be disabled, if it were not activated.

It is possible to install something called "wine" and install windows within linux. But I never saw the point in that. I just want to use the vista as a game platform, and completely disable it otherwise.

I like XP better myself, and have already set it up this way, on another computer. But some games require at least vista.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:03 AM

i am a dual booter, vista and linux ...are you using two seperate hard drives, or a boot loader on one hard drive?? i use two separate drives and just use boot options after startup to choose if i want to boot the one not set to default, but the default is set in BIOS

you can set vista to not auto-connect in network properties..

the features that are disabled without an activation are updates (and if you catch a few of the topics in the vista section, updates are causing alot of heartache), but activation isn't tough.. you have 3 days after you boot up and the system properties in control panel indicates you need to activate...

Edited by synergy513, 05 June 2017 - 01:07 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:12 AM

To Disable Vistas Internet - follow steps from this Page - http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/solved-how-to-disable-internet-connection-without-disabling-the-lan-network-232894.html

Non Activation : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Product_Activation

In Windows Vista SP1Windows Vista SP2Windows 7Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2, after a grace period of 30 days (60 days for Windows Server 2008), the operating system will add a text message in the bottom-right hand corner of the screen stating that the copy of Windows in question is not valid, set the desktop background to black, allow only critical and security updates to be downloaded from Windows Update and give periodic reminders to activate the operating system. However, the operating system otherwise functions normally

I dont think any features will be lost / if your games work then nothing to worry about.

#7 Selador

Selador
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:13 AM

i am a dual booter, vista and linux ...are you using two seperate hard drives, or a boot loader on one hard drive?? i use two separate drives and just use boot options to choose which one boots, but the default is set in BIOS

you can set vista to not auto-connect in network properties..

the features that are disabled without an activation are updates (and if you catch a few of the topics in the vista section, updates are causing alot of heartache), but activation isn't tough.. you have 3 days after you boot up and the system properties in control panel indicates you need to activate...

Bootloader. Grub.

I think if I went so far as separate hard drives, I'd just find an old computer, and build a totally separate machine. Rather than go through bios every time I boot up, to make a choice of boot options.

I'd trust vista not to connect just because I set that setting... about as much as I'd trust my dog with three days worth of food if I went away for the weekend... ;)

If updates are the only thing affected, I think I'm going to end up building a separate machine, that will never be connected to the internet. Disabled or no wifi hardware, no ethernet connection, etc...

#8 Selador

Selador
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:16 AM

To Disable Vistas Internet - follow steps from this Page - http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/solved-how-to-disable-internet-connection-without-disabling-the-lan-network-232894.html

Non Activation : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Product_Activation

In Windows Vista SP1Windows Vista SP2Windows 7Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2, after a grace period of 30 days (60 days for Windows Server 2008), the operating system will add a text message in the bottom-right hand corner of the screen stating that the copy of Windows in question is not valid, set the desktop background to black, allow only critical and security updates to be downloaded from Windows Update and give periodic reminders to activate the operating system. However, the operating system otherwise functions normally

I dont think any features will be lost / if your games work then nothing to worry about.

Thank you. That answered my questions. :)

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:16 AM

oh yes, grub...kind of like the boot options in bios..

#10 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:17 AM

my vista doesn't default to connect if it boots, my linux mint 18 doesn't either as long as i uncheck wiifi before i power down. it is a great setup. i enjoy it

Edited by synergy513, 05 June 2017 - 01:21 AM.

#11 Selador

Selador
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:21 AM

oh yes, grub...kind of like the boot options in bios..

Yep.

Only automatic.

And you set it to the one you want for default, then let it boot to that every time.

You only have to babysit the bootup process when you want to boot something different.

Even then you only have to wait for the screen and make a choice. Short wait, one click.

Rather than having to babysit it to hit the right button to get into bios, then go through the process to make a choice in bios, save that choice, then wait for the boot process to finish.

Edited by Selador, 05 June 2017 - 01:23 AM.

#12 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:23 AM

no, the linux hdd will boot by default because i have it prioritized in bios boot control if i don't go to the separate boot options at startup and choose the vista hard drive...

Edited by synergy513, 05 June 2017 - 01:27 AM.

#13 Selador

Selador
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:31 AM

no, the linux hdd will boot by default because i have it prioritized in bios boot options if i don't go to the separate boot options at startup and choose the vista hard drive...

That works. :)

Still, you have to go through that process to boot something else.

Mine is the same way, as far as leaving the default boot alone. It boots to my default without me doing anything. (Linux)

If I want to boot vista, all I have to do is turn the computer on, wait about ten seconds, make a choice, (one click), and get vista.

#14 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:33 AM

yes, i had to boot from grub a few days ago, it did have a few options, but i just needed to edit a user profile. maybe the inux equivalent of safe mode?

anyway, happy to see the alternative OS getting play...we do have a Linux section here, have a saunter over and make introduction!!!

Edited by synergy513, 05 June 2017 - 01:37 AM.

#15 Selador

Selador
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 01:36 AM

yes, i had to boot from grub a few days ago, it did have a few options, but i just needed to edit a user profile. maybe the inux equivalent of safe mode?

Yes.

I think grub is what 'safe mode' in windows was based on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users