Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gigabyte BRIX (GB-BXBT-1900 running Ubuntu 16.04. Freezes on incactivity.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 surfsider

surfsider

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

Gigabyte BRIX (GB-BXBT-1900 running Ubuntu 16.04).  If I walk away from keyboard for hour or more when I come back it does not respond to keyboard or mouse; blue pilot lamp is on continuously so it does not appear to be in sleep mode.  As long as I am sitting at the computer and using it, I have  no problems.  I wonder if anyone else is using Ubuntu on the BRIX?

Edited by surfsider, 04 June 2017 - 04:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:51 PM

If you press Crtl + Alt + F1 does the screen return as a console with a prompt? If it does then press Alt + F7 or Ctrl + Alt + F7. Do you get your desktop back.

#3 surfsider

surfsider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

JohnC,   Thank you for your interest.  Sorry for delay; been trying to get a better handle on the behavior; seems to happen frequently during video playbacks like youtube; but sometime does it when nothing running except desktop.

To answer your questions: Crtl + Alt + F1 does NOT return as a console with a prompt; BUT once out of 20 or so times the follow up with Ctrl + Alt + F7 returned a partially functioning desktop.

I have run memtest for an hour with no failures.   Looked for additional video drivers; no luck.  It runs Intel video driver. 

I have a friend who tried pinging it through the network with no results.

Latest crash this a.m. was during a youtube video and looking in CRASH folder the filename points toward the date and time software.

Edited by surfsider, 09 June 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

That was the only idea I had. I have only heard of issues with AMD and Nvidia chipsets, none for intel. From my understanding upgrading to 17.04 has solved some issues people had. Possibly upgrading would help. 

You may need to wait for somebody with more linux experience to reply.  

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,526 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

Hey surfsider,

You might want to check on Ubuntu forums and post your problem there also as someone else may have had the same problem or a similar problem as you have.

https://ubuntuforums.org/

The Toolman  :wink:

P.S. this suggestion is not meant as any degradation to Bleeping Computer Forum.

I'm Grumpy Because I can Be Not Because I'm Old. :P :lol: 

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” (Mark Twain)

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." (Mark Twain)

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

Some hardware doesn't work with Ubuntu's "sleep" and/or "hibernate" functions, and the best solution is to go into Power Management settings in System Settings and disable whatever it is that isn't working.

#7 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

From what I know, there used to be a known problem with screen savers and screen lock.  They are basically two different screen savers.  I had this problem with xscreensaver and I think it was gnome's and KDE's screen lock features.  I just say it was fun to have cool things animate on the computer but I just use the basic screen lock now because of potential conflicts.  Sometimes Linux had me enter my password twice because they were both active..  very strange very strange indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users