Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeze/lockup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 001dek

001dek

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

I have a Dell 660S w/win 8.1. All has been well until we had a temp pwr outage that went out for 2 secs and then on and a minute later out again for a couple of secs and then on (3 x). I was not at the computer but it was on.and in "sleep" mode.When I attempted to get the computer out of sleep and operating, the PC was "frozen". I could not turn it off via the computer but had to disconnect from the outlet. I do have it plugged into a power strip. When started win up, it came up slower than usual and I no longer had my background. When I tried to go into the setup for the backround it said that program wasn't available. After being on for 3-4 min, the operation became slower and finally would freeze altogether requiring me to turn it off and restart.It continues to restart but freezes after 3-4 min. I tried to reset to an earlier date but as it was going through the setup it would freeze. I can't run anything for more then the .4 min after which it freezes. Any check or attempted repair freezes.after the 4 min period. I can't determine if it's a hardware or OS problem.

I would get a new HD and reload it w/win 8.1 but where do I secure a copy of the OS? It was pre-loaded on the computer. All I received with the computer in 2012 was a multi-lingual quick start guide. I am no longer able to find my sales receipt but do have the computer svc tag and code.

I would also just buy a new, desktop computer but I hate win 10 and can't find any loaded with earlier supported)versions of windows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

Hi,

Usually Dell machines have some diagnostic tools on the BIOS/UEFI try pressing the F10 key to see if you can access the BIOS Setup and from there the Diagnostic tools.

You can download Windows 8.1 directly from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8 and burn a DVD or create a flash drive with it.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 001dek

001dek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:06 PM

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I'll try them. Thank you, again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users