Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Just Me ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:07 PM

Greetings to All
I have slipped the surly bonds of Micro$oft and I'm unfettered by windoze :thumbsup: ... or words to that effect. I have a new box (nothing to get excited about , well maybe alittle for me) that came with Linspire pre-installed , Cool enough at that plus the CNR service is now mostly FREE (a few exceptions) have downloaded Firefox and once again have to ask , When are they going to get with it and move to Fx 1.5 ? I would think 1.5 is as stable as it's going to get seeing how 2.0 is to be released in a matter of weeks( I understand there is some differences between the ms ver and linux :flowers: ) . the Linspire browser is Mozilla based (so it says) but after using Fx since 0.7 , sucks, for a lack of a better description as there appears to be no way to "customise" the tool bars in sizing, or, adding or removing any buttons (no home button, and I prefer a bookmarks button as well) and the "themes" are sadly lacking too. other than that ,Everything is just Peachy. using Fx now but can't find any themes to install ,mostly because of the need for 1.5 to work. extensions (NoScript) installed just fine. So...Is it just me or is any one else thing "Hurry up with the "stable" ver. of 1.5 all ready " . Have checked out DSL on here and works a lot faster than it used to (go figure :trumpet: ) will try some other Live types as well, Kanotix in particular.

the old box was a 350-k6 ,the new is 4x faster which is plenty fast for what I do . :inlove:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:51 PM

well ,not sure how it happened but it has I've got the 1.5.0.6 working as I type
hubba hubba hubba hubba habba , well I'm a happy boy .....

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#3 linuxadoressa

linuxadoressa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

Consider Slack or Zenwalk live-cd Slackware based distro, cause it`s more stable than other GNU/Linux distros!
/And one of the first created - there is quite new Slackware 11/
Linspire is not secure at all, cause anyone is root... Easy installing software with installpkg command...Reach of documentation and slackbook also, all completely free.
Openminded GNU/Linux member # 375493
Posted Image

#4 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:32 PM

Hay there
Thanks, Have thought about Zenwalk before ,maybe after I try out the couple other Live distros I've got I'll give it a shot too. I run Linspire from a user account and seldom run as root. Have you tried DSL ? it's got to be my favorite Live CD so far

Posted Image

#5 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:45 PM

I have no experience or information for you on linspire. I read once it was focussed on being windows like to try and target that market...which is a major reason I haven't tried it....I don't want a windows version of linux or a linux version of windows. I like them both the way they are.

As far as FF...

Posted Image
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#6 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:53 PM

Hay there Joedude
if it would not have come preinstalled I've have never tried Linspire. it's kinda of windows like but in a "better" way . :thumbsup: but seeing as how it's already here , what the heck , It's pretty easy to use (I like that in a OS) the C-N-R service used to be a "pay" thing but now it's free :flowers: . Using DSL as I type ,maybe I'll install it also (do a "frugal") or I'll go with DSL-N (Damn Small Linux - Not) after it hits 1.0, a bigger version with Seamonkey ,which is why I'm not using it right now. or try any one of 50 or more others out there, for me "live" cds are where its at right now
Linux is a whole different head and I don't expect to figure it out over night , It took 7-8 years for me to figure out I was fed up with windows :trumpet: but from what I can tell, It's All Good....

Posted Image

#7 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:30 AM

I have to say, I like your attitude. Recognizing that it took time to learn windows and seeing that it will be exactly the same for linux is right on the mark. I think you're going to have a great time with it over the next few years.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users