Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resetting Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spbb05

spbb05

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Hi - I'd like to reset Windows 10 keeping my files. I upgraded to 10 for free during the 10 roll out. If I do the reset, will I still  have 10 or will it revert back to the old version?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:41 PM

Reset is not used to restore to or roll-back to a prior version of Windows.   It is essentially a new and easier way to reinstall the operating system without some of the gyrations that used to entail.

Note well that a Reset using the "keep my files" option does precisely what it says:  It reinstalls Windows 10 and it keeps your user data files and accounts.  Any apps you may have downloaded from the store or third-party (including Microsoft, like Office) programs that you've installed will be removed and will require reinstallation if you still want them.  If you go for the "wipe" option it's like reinstalling Windows 10 from scratch.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 spbb05

spbb05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

Thank you for the fast response. Perfect,  I want 10 t be reinstalled. I've backed up my files t be safe and have listed all programs/apps I need to reinstall. Any other advise before proceeding?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

The only things I'd suggest are things I always suggest, and you've done some of them:

1.  Take a full system image of your computer using the utility of your choice.

2.  Take a separate user data backup, if possible, because these are generally easier to just get your user data back from.  It might be as simple as copying the appropriate folder(s) under C:\Users or using the utility of your choice.

3.  Download Belarc Advisor and run it, keeping a copy of the report handy on paper until you're done.  I tend to find that I have forgotten something as far as programs go and using Belarc Advisor has helped me to avoid doing that (at least unintentionally - I often use reset/reinstall as an opportunity to scale back on stuff I haven't been using).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 spbb05

spbb05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

thanks again, much appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users