Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro - Installing new SSD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KaelGK

KaelGK

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:47 PM

Hello,

Got a BSOD and my computer's SSD recently failed to be recognized by the BIOS so I bought a new SSD (Samsung 850 EVO mSATA) to install.

I know how to put it in to the computer but that seems to be the simple part.  My questions are:

1.)  Is there anyway to attempt to recover old files from a possibly dead SSD?
2.)  How would I go about getting Windows OS on the new SSD I just bought?

Any advice or thoughts you guys have would be really appreciated!  Thanks in advance! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 10:09 PM

1. That really depends on how dead it is. Try using an msata to usb or msata toaster (dock) to see if it is recognized. If not, there are a ton of problems it could be. Look for any obvious broken connections. If you cant find any, there is definitely someone who can fix it out there. Whether or not you can get the OS depends on whether or not you can get it read. If you want to get windows on the new SSD without anything from the previous, just go to microsoft's website and get their windows 10 iso. From there, you can put that on a usb (google universal usb installer if you dont know how to do it manually). Put it in the computer and boot from the usb. follow instructions and you are good.

ooh, i have a signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users