Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I download Linux Mint on a disk and try it out?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cooljay

cooljay

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

I am itching to try out Linux on my main laptop with 17" screen instead of my tiny eee PC.

Can I do that or is there any kind of risk? It would mean that I don't need to install anything, right?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

There is no risk as linux runs from the install media and RAM. Just be sure to not click Install Linux on the desktop.

Burn the iso you download to a DVD. You can do this on any Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. You can also use a program called Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive using the iso you download.

It would help if you gave the make and model of the laptop along with how much RAM you have. That would help in determining which Mint distro to download.

If the computer came preinstalled with Windows 8 or 10 I believe you will need to disable SecureBoot before booting linux. If it's a HP tapping F9 at boot will let you select legacy boot of the DVD or USB flash drive.

#3 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

No risk, occasionally ive had problems running a live cd/dvd but they are rare. You dont have to install anything.

Assuming you will download a distro. to try and you have a DVD drive you will have to:

burn the Linux iso image to a DVD

Set machine to boot from its DVD drive

Place DVD in drive and reboot machine.

You can get a list of distros ranked by  "popularity" below. Lots of info about the distros, download links, screenshots, guides, forums, reviews  etc.

https://distrowatch.com/

Linux Mint;

Note there are four different desktops both in 32 and 64 bit versions. They also have a very good Mint user guide you should download and check out first.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#4 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

Thanks so much, you guys. Excellent resources, will get to it in a bit.

JohnC, it's a HP Pavilion g7-1263nr Notebook, 8GB, with 7.48GB still available. (Wow. I guess you can tell I don't download any movies.) 64-bit.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

With that system try Mint Cinnamon 18.1 64bit. 

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3181

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

Hi, cooljay.

I am itching to try out Linux on my main laptop with 17" screen instead of my tiny eee PC.

And why not, indeed..??  :)

I know this will possibly seem a wee bit 'down-market' for your tastes, but since you'll be 'road-testing' with a LiveCD/DVD, you might as well try more than one while you're at it.

Why not give one of the 64-bit Puppies a try? Tahrpup64 is not the newest; that would be XenialPup (based on Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus'), but that's still in the 'beta' stage, and is more than a little buggy as yet. Tahrpup64 6.05 is based on the April 2014 release of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 'Trusty Tahr' (a 'long-term' stable release, which is still supported for another two years.)

Its creator, Phil Broughton (666philB on the Puppy Forums) has gone out of his way to ensure absolutely everything works, OOTB, since he realised from the beginning that many people's impressions of any OS are coloured by their first experience with it. And you must remember that the Puppies have always been designed, from the ground up, to load into, and run totally from RAM, since that is the very fastest component of any computer.

On that machine, it should absolutely fly. Just a suggestion, of course, but remember, too, that you can install Puppy to, and run it from, a USB stick as a permanent install. That way, you never have to change anything on your hard drive if you don't want to!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 04 June 2017 - 04:57 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:48 PM

Not sure why say "down-market"? I seem to remember from last time that there is quite a bit of a learning curve in Puppies. More than I can handle right now, probably.

On the other hand, puppy on a USB, permanently installed, never having to touch my hard drive..... Hmmm. Do I hear music in my ears?? (Or is it tinnitis?)

#8 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

I'm watching this kid install Linux on USB and he just said something in passing that I don't get (because of his cute British accent) but he's talking about the USB port in your computer that  you want to use versus the one you DON'T want to use. What?? So basically, it means the Linux USB will have a dedicated USB port, and I have to make up my mind which one that is?

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:29 PM

So basically, it means the Linux USB will have a dedicated USB port, and I have to make up my mind which one that is?

I have never heard of that. I have a Puppy installed to USB that I use across multiple machines and I just plug the stick in amy USB port.

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:14 PM

I'm watching this kid install Linux on USB and he just said something in passing that I don't get (because of his cute British accent) but he's talking about the USB port in your computer that  you want to use versus the one you DON'T want to use. What?? So basically, it means the Linux USB will have a dedicated USB port, and I have to make up my mind which one that is?

Could he be referring to the difference in speed for different USB ports? Computers ordinarily have a mix of USB ports. E.G. USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 on older computers, or USB 2.0 and USB 3.1 on newer computers.

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:20 PM

Mm. I reckon that's probably it, Al.

In the examples you've given, USB 2.0 is the universal, common factor in both 'mixtures'. It has a reasonable combination of read/write speeds. 

USB 3.0 is, of course, better.....if you have native USB 3.0 ports. I've already discovered they won't boot through an adapter card; something to do with the lack of BIOS instructions in the onboard ROM chips of said adapters.

USB 1.1 is so painfully slow by modern standards, it's barely worth even considering.....except as an absolute last resort. I mean, Puppy would load.....eventually. Then it would run natively in the machine's RAM, at its normal speed. But it would never work for anything else running from a USB stick. It'd be hopeless!

Mike.  :wink:

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:14 PM

XenialPup (based on Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus'), but that's still in the 'beta' stage, and is more than a little buggy as yet. 

Is this what you are referring to.

https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz05zxenialdog.html

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#13 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:42 PM

XenialPup (based on Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus'), but that's still in the 'beta' stage, and is more than a little buggy as yet. 

Is this what you are referring to.

https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz05zxenialdog.html

Mm.....not exactly. The 'dogs' are not the same as the Pups. Debiandog is based on the Debian LiveCD, but customized and tweaked to look and behave like a Puppy. XenialDog is the same, though in this case based on the the Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LiveCD.....again, customized and tweaked to look and act like a Pup.

The advantage being, of course, of having access to the vast repositories of both via Synaptic and the use of the 'apt-get' command. Pup's 'Busybox' terminal 'back-end' doesn't contain this command (amongst several others).....which is why so many Debian and Ubuntu users come to grief when they try to apply their usual commands in Pup's terminal.

Xenialpup, on the other hand, is a regular, standard Pup, built using the Woof-CE build-system, which constructs a regular Pup using the binaries of another distribution.....in this case, the binaries of Xenial Xerus, but not the layout and construction.

That is my understanding, in layman's terms, of how the Puppy build-system works. I hope that's clarified things a wee bit for you.

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 June 2017 - 07:43 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:20 PM

Hey Mike,

Lets take over to the Puppy Linux Thread as I don't want to hijack cooljay's thread.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#15 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

Linux Mint is similar to Windows, so is easy to use.

It's a joy to be in it. It's so quiet - no constant disk activity, no constant internet chatter :)

After using and testing the Live Mint on flash, I caved in and installed many months ago.

So now I have triple boot - windows 7, 10 and Mint. Grub bootloader works great.

Live Mint can be very useful as well without installing. You can set it to use persistence, so stuff like mails or your bookmarks in browsers can be updated everytime you use it. On USB3 it's totally useable.

Just my 5 cents.

Edited by tos226, 05 June 2017 - 08:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users