Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN router advice needed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 i3lade4life

i3lade4life

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

I am trying to set up a VPN router to run my Smart TV's through. I am currently on Plusnet Fibre optic and I have bought a TP-Link WR-740N for my VPN. I have run an ethernet from my Openreach modem to my TP through the WAN links. But the new router does not recognise any WAN. 
Please help out a clueless fella with a fix for this(hopefully in lamens terms too)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

Perhaps you can explain a bit more about this vpn you want to setup?  I imagine you want to get around country TV restrictions by using a vpn.  Do you understand that you need to subscribe to a vpn service in the target country to do this?

Your router only supports vpn passthrough which is not the same as actually having a vpn capable router.  This may be a problem for you as a vpn passthrough requires a vpn client and its not likely you can load that client on your tv.

That aside lets see what your router is up to.  Please do the following:

1. connect a pc/laptop directly to the modem.  Post the results of a ipconfig /all via a command prompt

2. connect a pc/laptop directly to the lan side of the router. Post the results of a ipconfig /all via a command prompt

I suspect you may have a ip addressing issue which is why it appears to not be working

ps your manual

http://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/TL-WR741ND_V5_UG.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users