Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ohfer

ohfer

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 11:41 AM

[b]Hello. I just received an automatic update to download an update patch for Microsoft.NET Framework. I have Win XP Home Edition, tried downloading and would not install. Do I need this? It appears it is for networking or other admin. duties and I'm not networking. Any help appreciated.
Thanks, Tom.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:11 PM

Hi ohfer , you don't say which particular update it is , or , what version of Microsoft.NET Framework.

Is it by any chance update KB917283 , security update for microsoft NET Framework Version 2.0. ?

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:29 PM

You would not have gotten the automatic update unless it was needed by XP.

The following may help you understand what .NET is:
What Is .NET?
http://www.microsoft.com/net/basics.mspx

#4 ohfer

ohfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:37 PM

Hello Flyer, thanks for responding. It states it is for version 1.0 SP3 English (KB886906).
Also, here's the link to the update. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms05-004.mspx
My XP Home is SP2
Thanks, Tom.

#5 ohfer

ohfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:45 PM

Thank you too enthusiast. I tried downloading again and it states it was unable to. The balloon keeps popping up at the bottom stating my updates are ready to be installed. Thanks, Tom.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 01:48 PM

Here is some more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

#7 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:38 AM

Hi again ohfer , sorry for the delay but I've been working extremely hard over the weekend , thankfully I'm now on my rest days.

I've had problems with previous updates related to net framework , which i could only resolve by re-installing the net framework itself and then downloading the updates. We may have to go down that road but it may be worth trying a direct download of the update first .

Try downloading from here and choose the option "" Run this program from its current location ".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users